Home > Trip Reports > November 23, 2010, Hyak (Summit East?)

November 23, 2010, Hyak (Summit East?)

11/23/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 11/23/10 5:52am
Started out as a nice bluebird, cold day with deep skinning, thanks Tim and Zach!  By the time we gained the 1000' (?), clouds had come in and several other sliders had hopped into our track, one reached the summit just as we did.

Sadly the snow was so heavy that I needed to follow the track down, too.  Maybe big fat skis would have been a better choice for the day.   Great to get out of town and traffic, enjoying Mother Nature's outdoor stairmaster once more and some CSE (continuing snow education.)
Fat skis were indeed well appreciated, thank you lotus 120's. 

We got an early start and skinned up the access road, deep 24" trenches breaking trail around to the top this morning. A thanks to the Cat driver for having groomed the trail to the top for the second lap. Lots of people littering the hill, 20+ hiking up the skin track on the face as we left after our third lap.

Nice, I thought I saw Rich going down on West today when my girl and I were going up.

I didn't see you though Silas.

From where that 2nd picture was taken, I think we were parked next to you, the red Subaru.

Great turns at West - had a few chest shots on the low angle terrain - when I was able to get some speed.

Does anybody know the verdict on Summit East's operating schedule for the 2010-2011 season.  Will they be running the new lift 7 days a week?  Are the dawn patrollers going to get run out of there this season?

The operating schedule for East has not been released yet.  The only schedule out is for West.

My guess is Hyak will now be closed to dawn patrollers.  The plan is to leave the terrain there ungroomed.  I don't think paying customers will appreciate dawn patrollers taking their lines\interferring with their safety.

Don't quote me on this though.  Time will tell.

author=cchapin link=topic=18095.msg76569#msg76569 date=1290621867]
The operating schedule for East has not been released yet.  The only schedule out is for West.

My guess is Hyak will now be closed to dawn patrollers.  The plan is to leave the terrain there ungroomed.  I don't think paying customers will appreciate dawn patrollers taking their lines\interferring with their safety.

Don't quote me on this though.  Time will tell.

I like it! I'll spread the word!!!
*Loading a video of  a couple face shots up here yesterday, will post a link later.

Wish I was free to ski yesterday... thanks for posting!

author=Tophervw link=topic=18095.msg76568#msg76568 date=1290620522]
Does anybody know the verdict on Summit East's operating schedule for the 2010-2011 season.  Will they be running the new lift 7 days a week?  Are the dawn patrollers going to get run out of there this season?

I've heard weekends only for Hyak.

author=The Snow Troopers link=topic=18095.msg76570#msg76570 date=1290622276]
*Loading a video of  a couple face shots up here yesterday, will post a link later.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=158272750883253

Reply to this TR

november-23-2010-hyak-summit-east
silaswild
2010-11-23 13:52:40