Home > Forum > Skiing Mt. Baker

Skiing Mt. Baker

• grnmtngirl
  • [grnmtngirl]
More
31 Aug 2004 06:12 #169736 by grnmtngirl
Skiing Mt. Baker was created by grnmtngirl
My dad is interested in coming out mid-Sept. to get in some turns on Baker. Just wondering if anyone's been up there recently and what the conditions are like? He was out in May and I guess the conditions were great. I've only been here a couple weeks and I'm not real familiar w/the area yet. Any comments, suggestions, alternative ideas would be great. Thanks. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
31 Aug 2004 08:34 #169737 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Skiing Mt. Baker
My last time up there is recorded for posterity, thus:<br><br>www.turns-all-year.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB...splay;num=1092637788

I would expect it to be significantly worse now, and probably worse again in a few weeks. Rainier sounds significantly more rewarding recently (for a change).

September is normally the cruelest month for backcountry skiers, with otherwise-sane foks going to all sorts of extravagant lengths for a few bumpy turns on pumice-covered icy lumps. On the other hand, six inches of fresh snow can make for heroic conditions, so predictions are difficult. The only certainty of which I'm aware involves the fact that it will not in any significant way resemble May.<br><br>I ski quite a bit on and around Baker, more or less year-round. If you're in the Bellingham area, feel free to email for more ideas, information, or whenever you want to go skiing. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Enjoy,

Mark

More
31 Aug 2004 08:45 #169738 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Skiing Mt. Baker
I was just going to suggest Mark and/or Tim Place as potential guides/ski partners for the Baker area.<br>Both are great guys and very knowledgable on the local stashes.... but don't tell them I told you that 'cause they get all puffed up when they hear stuff like that ;)

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
31 Aug 2004 08:50 #169739 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Skiing Mt. Baker
Heh. Too late. But you're feeling in need of unassuming modesty and unflagging devotion to decorum and protocol at any time, my vote would go to the Ron Jarvis Posse, collectively and individually.<br><br>Just don't tell him I said that; we don't want to spoil a good thing.

More
31 Aug 2004 09:14 #169740 by jimjar
Replied by jimjar on topic Re: Skiing Mt. Baker
Check out the Mount Shuskan report in the TR's. Sounds like the conditions are not too great right now.