Home > Trip Reports > Nov22 Alpental Slackcountry

Nov22 Alpental Slackcountry

11/15/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by savegondor on 11/22/10 8:59am
Well, Nellie and I went up about 1000k until we set off a soft slab that propegated about 10meters above me and slid past for about 40 feet.  I ripped and got the crap out of any steepish terrain.  Thankfully both myself and some others out for laps were mere 100 feet from low angle slopes of safety.  I'd say there was 24-30 inches at the base of alpental with 40-50 about 1000k up the slope.  And no base.  Even when it was chest deep up high I could easily poke at the bare bottom with my poles.  I shudder to think what heavy snow on top of this will do. 
I/we were just up ahead of you. We didn't trigger anything that big but definitely noticed cracks and smaller stuff moving. Looks like we all turned around at the same time.

Did you all year my little yelling spat with Alpental employees?  I'm not proud of driving a two wheel drive with bald tires...but the parking lot was not an option for my car.  Hence a park job on the side of the road.  Then Alpental employees blamed me for a delivery truck getting stuck when he ditched it on the other side (read: plenty of space and um... delivery truck on unplowed roads?  really?)

I think I left only moments before. There was definitely a cluster F&$# at the parking lot entrance when I left. If the snow was wet and heavy in that parking lot I would have been parking my Subaru right behind you.

Also... that snow was really deep and fun.

Reply to this TR

nov22-alpental-slackcountry
savegondor
2010-11-22 16:59:56