Home > Trip Reports > Nov 21, 2010, Mazama Ridge - Pretty near Epic!

Nov 21, 2010, Mazama Ridge - Pretty near Epic!

11/21/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Don Heath on 11/21/10 3:05pm
We left the parking lot about 9:30, and headed over to take a look at the slope just off the lot that runs down to the Paradise River valley.  It looked good, but short, so we continued down the road.  We passed a few ski crews who were looking greedily up at Mazama Ridge trying to "decide by committee" which up track to take.  We headed past them, just downhill from 4th crossing, and chose one that someone thoughtfully put in yesterday, just for us, thank you very much, and left the committee behind.

As we went up, we got more and more excited.  The snow was excellent - no sign of any wind crust, and our pole baskets poked in to 12" with no resistance, and about 24" with a little forcing.  Out in the open, we could just see yesterday's tracks, but it was snowing lightly, and filling them in.  At some point skinning up through the tree band, we zigged when we should have zagged,  got out of the up track and struggled up someone's downhill line.  I hope they had fun skiing it down, because it was bear skiing it up. 

At the top of the ridge, we wandered north-easterly across the meadows in a flat light, worrying a bit about that.  We hit the far side of the ridge just south of what I think RonJ calls Birthday Bowl.  We had the area to ourselves, a nice 30-35 degree south facing slope, with a couple of 40 degree pitches and roll overs, and skied several laps.  The powder was fabulous, about 3 feet deep, very stable, and perfect for face shots.  The lighting turned out to be a non issue, since there were just enough terrain features and trees to give us good visual references.  At one one point we heard and dimly saw another group wisely readying to ski down the north side of "our" ridge.  I say wisely, because we were ready to fend off any poachers with violent gestures and head shakes to any who had the audacity to snake our lines and ride our escalator up.  Anyone can use our uptrack... tomorrow... just sayin'  ;)

It began snowing hard around 1:30 and continued the rest of the day.  On the way out we headed south on Mazama and skied a nice NW facing slope through small trees, down to the road.  Back up to the car by about 4:30, and drove down hill in flat light all the way to Longmire.  I don't know if I'd rather ski in flat light, or drive in it.  Actually neither.  I hit one icy patch on the way down and careened back and forth about 4 times, before gently nosing into the ditch, just so I could get my bearings.  4-wheel drive got us out and right back up on the road, and adrenalin got me down the rest of the way.  It snowed pretty hard all the way to Tacoma.
author=Rusty Knees link=topic=18068.msg76404#msg76404 date=1290409542]
We left the parking lot about 9:30, and headed over to take a look at the slope just off the lot that runs down to the Paradise River valley.  It looked good, but short, so we continued down the road.  We passed a few ski crews who were looking greedily up at Mazama Ridge trying to "decide by committee" which up track to take.  We headed past them, just downhill from 4th crossing, and chose one that someone thoughtfully put in yesterday, just for us, thank you very much, and left the committee behind.

As we went up, we got more and more excited.  The snow was excellent - no sign of any wind crust, and our pole baskets poked in to 12" with no resistance, and about 24" with a little forcing.  Out in the open, we could just see yesterday's tracks, but it was snowing lightly, and filling them in.  At some point skinning up through the tree band, we zigged when we should have zagged,  got out of the up track and struggled up someone's downhill line.  I hope they had fun skiing it down, because it was bear skiing it up. 

At the top of the ridge, we wandered north-easterly across the meadows in a flat light, worrying a bit about that.  We hit the far side of the ridge just south of what I think RonJ calls Birthday Bowl.   We had the area to ourselves, a nice 30-35 degree south facing slope, with a couple of 40 degree pitches and roll overs, and skied several laps.  The powder was fabulous, about 3 feet deep, very stable, and perfect for face shots.  The lighting turned out to be a non issue, since there were just enough terrain features and trees to give us good visual references.  At one one point we heard and dimly saw another group wisely readying to ski down the north side of "our" ridge.  I say wisely, because we were ready to fend off any poachers with violent gestures and head shakes to any who had the audacity to snake our lines and ride our escalator up.  Anyone can use our uptrack... tomorrow... just sayin'  ;)

It began snowing hard around 1:30 and continued the rest of the day.  On the way out we headed south on Mazama and skied a nice NW facing slope through small trees, down to the road.  Back up to the car by about 4:30, and drove down hill in flat light all the way to Longmire.  I don't know if I'd rather ski in flat light, or drive in it.  Actually neither.  I hit one icy patch on the way down and careened back and forth about 4 times, before gently nosing into the ditch, just so I could get my bearings.  4-wheel drive got us out and right back up on the road, and adrenalin got me down the rest of the way.  It snowed pretty hard all the way to Tacoma.
I really love the fact you are willing to defend your powder! Keep the army ready.

Nice work dude!  Although I've been behind in the pow-hounding, I plan on making it up thoroughly!  ;)

Sounds like a good day out Don. (except for the car ride)  I doubt that those potential powder poachers had any idea what they would have been up against!  Lucky for them.

So, I'm dying to know what boards you were on?  Rock skis or rock star skis?

Stugie:  U sure talk alot about skiing for someone who doesn't go skiing.   ::)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=18068.msg76459#msg76459 date=1290467533]
So, I'm dying to know what boards you were on?  Rock skis or rock star skis?

I was on my brand spankin new Rossi S3's - twin tip, rockered on both ends, nice camber underfoot, with good sidecut and flex - they were awesome!  Even skinning was better...

Stugie:  U sure talk alot about skiing for someone who doesn't go skiing.   ::)

I know - he's gonna get confused and show up to Crystal with his surfboard...

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=18068.msg76488#msg76488 date=1290484191]
I was on my brand spankin new Rossi S3's - twin tip, rockered on both ends, nice camber underfoot, with good sidecut and flex - they were awesome!  Even skinning was better...

What happened to the Drifters???
Rossi S3= a very nice ski. I'd like a pair.

The Drifters are waiting for mountings - just need to let my ski expenditures drop off my wife's radar for a few weeks.  When the coast is clear, I'll get them mounted and you can show me how to SLURVE!

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=18068.msg76491#msg76491 date=1290486028]
The Drifters are waiting for mountings - just need to let my ski expenditures drop off my wife's radar for a few weeks.  When the coast is clear, I'll get them mounted and you can show me how to SLURVE!

"Slarve!"  Oh jeeze.

You could put the Switchbacks on layaway ;)

Reply to this TR

nov-21-2010-mazama-ridge-pretty-near-epic
Don Heath
2010-11-21 23:05:42