Home > Trip Reports > August 28, 2004, Mount Shuksan

August 28, 2004, Mount Shuksan

8/28/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Jason_H. on 8/30/04 12:56am
Josh and I wanted month 71. Powder? Blue sky? Easy approach and climb? "The forecast looks okay," I commented to myself at 3:30 saturday morning as I left for shuksan.

So jumping ahead...we're at the parking lot. It's raining. We bartered with the overhanging clouds, but they continued to taunt us. Still in an overzelous (what rain?) mood Paul, Josh, Justin and I dashed up the sulfide trail where wilting bushes and misc brushery attempted and failed to slaughter our high hopes. We persisted. Skis make for a great water collector FYI. At treeline, I ate blue berries. This was the highlight, just behind those first turns and the two women we saw coming down who were friends of Sky Sjue who we planned on meeting. "Sky is up the way," one of them commented. We didn't see Sky's car, so we though he played it smart and left us hanging. No sir! He was up at one and ready to rummble. Josh caught Sky on his way down and convinced him that some turns would be worth the effort. They weren't. At the snow they were unable to climb in shoes so they switched to boots. I made sure to dump my boots out before putting them on down lower. I climbed up a bit and made some great turns back down. The ice was a great challenge. As I reached the bottom I saw Justin making his first downhill turns ever. August is as good of a time to learn as any don't they say? With our work done, we hauled back to the car and tried to make it as fun as possible.

The Quote of the day goes to Mr. Cop D. Badge, "Can I see your license, registration and insurance." I pull my wallet out and accidently hand him my credit card. The prompt reply, "I don't accept visa." I guess it's not accepted anywhere? Another jewel (from the cop) was, "What are you guys doing up here?" Paul pipes in, "We went skiing." His (the cop's) response: "WHAT!" Suffice it to say, he didn't believe us. My reward was a ticket, the first for speeding since I was 16 or so.

All in all month 71 was covered, we enjoyed a day we would have otherwise ignored, and lastly we got plenty of laughing in. That's important. In the end, I was satisfied and that's all that counts. Oh, and sorry no photos. I think I missed some good ones too  ;) .
No photos? Hogwash!

Sorry Justin, I couldn't resist!  ;D

Actually, the dialog went as follows:
Cop: "Where are you coming from?"
Me: "Baker Lake Road"
Cop: "What were you doing up there?"
Me: "Skiing! (points behind the seat with thumb) You can see our gear right there!"

I nearly laughed out loud. I guess he didn't believe that we didn't get cold and drenched for fun. Too bad about the ticket, though.

Man, the skiing sucked. I can't believe I didn't stay home like Jim and Dave. Lucky b@stards.

And here I was at home working on my broke down car while pouting about not being on the mountain.

That was month 27 for me.  27 is 3 cubed, and that is just awesome.  

My age is 25, which is 5 squared.  Could things really get any better?

Two numbers with only one prime factor each has to be good, right?

I think my total lifetime days skied is near 180, which is about half a year, or one half circle by the reckoning of how much the earth gets around the sun each day.

I'm sure I'll have a few more wet days before I get there, but hopefully I'll make it full circle some day!

Maybe by the time I'm 6 squared?

Hopefully even before then!!!

"I don't accept VISA"?

Classic!

Baker Lake Road where Skagit County starts is a speed trap. I recently got a ticket there too. At the county line the speed goes from 50 after 10 miles to 35. I got nailed at 51 in a 35 - ouch and hadn't had a speeding ticket for like 10 years. I've contested the ticket and got it deferred, an option you may want to consider since the insurance increases are huge.    

Reply to this TR

august-28-2004-mount-shuksan
Jason_H.
2004-08-30 07:56:10