Home > Trip Reports > November 21, 2010, So-pow-me Pass

November 21, 2010, So-pow-me Pass

11/21/10
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 11/21/10 6:52am
Woke up too late to execute my original plan for the day, so it was off to Summit West for some exercise. Was surprised to see snow sticking below Exit 38, and even more surprised to find a full-on snowstorm at the Pass.

Snow was boot+ of light and fluffy (and growing) atop a thin consolidated base. 84mm skis tended to ski on the friendly but slightly corrugated base; bring fatties. Nary a rock to be found. May return in the morning if it keeps snowing.

Quite the gaggle of people out, with smiles everywhere.
Good call.  The telemetry numbers indicate 9" since 5am. If the forecast holds up, Monday morning should be nice.   ;)

author=Zap link=topic=18053.msg76376#msg76376 date=1290382611]
Good call.  The telemetry numbers indicate 9" since 5am. If the forecast holds up, Monday morning should be nice.   ;)

If that amount gets doubled, it should be very fine. I went home because I was tired of hitting terrain irregularities under the snow surface in flat light.

Between the Pacific crest quad and Dodge Ridge the hill had been groomed on Saturday- making pretty decent skiing with 8"+ new on top. Decent enough for a couple of laps with my 9yo.

skinning

Snow storming

Emma style

Unconsolidated and 18+ deep where it wasn't groomed previously.

Yeah! it was pretty good up there today, i was up tele'in  on pontoons and it was a great day to bring out the fatties.  If it snows much more though, steeper slopes are gonna be needed to make any real turns. I ventured onto some of the "ungroomed" areas and had a hard time maintaing any speed in the deeper snow.  maybe central or alpental will have enough coverage after the storm(s)?

Reply to this TR

november-21-2010-so-pow-me-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2010-11-21 14:52:02