Home > Trip Reports > August 29, 2004, Camp Muir, MRNP

August 29, 2004, Camp Muir, MRNP

8/29/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 8/29/04 5:44pm
I've gotten lazy about posting tr's the last 2 weekends but have been inspired to do so after this one.  After the recent weather I had figured there was new snow up high and Kenji's tr confirmed that.  Btw thanx for the scout, which was accurate execpt for the part about it being "consolidated and smooth, made just for skiers". >:( ;D  Anyways I started hiking at 9 to warm temps and sunny skies.  The hump was the usual.  I started skinning just above Pebble Creek.  After a few breaks I was finally at Muir around 1ish?.  On the way up I only saw 2 boarders, freeheeler (wolfs), and an at'er descend.  Kind of low for the typical Sunday crowd.  Can't say the same for the climbers who were out in full force.  I got the chance to chat with Paul_Russell and company, nibble, take in the views, and gear up.  Well it was 2 now and time for the harvest.  Thanx to the storm the snow was the smoothest I've seen this late in August.  Seemed more like April or May.  Was nice carving some gs turns in 1-2 inches of butter all relaxed and laid back and not having to worry about what's beneath your board cause it's smooth.  Was also nice having the whole hill side to myself.  I only counted 8 people total (some guy in rando set up showed up later) when I left.
Nice to meet you snoslut.  You looked great on those big turns going down.  Have to agree, it was a terrific day for August.  Some the best snow conditions I've had on Muir, although a bit short.  But no complaints on 1500+ vf for this time of year with a climb-ski ratio of about 2.5.  The Turtle and Van Trump looked to be in excellent shape for those willing to hike a bit further.

With more precip forecast this week below 7000' freezing level, it might be shaping up for a good September.  

On the way up I only saw 2 boarders, freeheeler (wolfs), and an at'er descend.

Hmm. Mistaken ID or perhaps my evil twin, getting in better turns than I did, as I was car camping in the rain at Baker. There was a ton of precip, but snow level at Baker/Shuksan appeared quite high, I think the top of Park HW got some recent fresh but nothing that was easily reachable got cover. I also got a good look at the Ruth Mtn snowfield/glacier on a hike to Hannegan, it is pretty broken up even if just for ascending without skiing in mind, at least three crevasses going all the way to the rock against the left side if following a normal ridgeline route, could maybe improvise a circuitous route to avoid.

Reply to this TR

august-29-2004-camp-muir-mrnp
snoslut
2004-08-30 00:44:55