Home > Trip Reports > Nov 20, 2010, Crystal, Northway

Nov 20, 2010, Crystal, Northway

11/20/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by FreeBird on 11/20/10 10:17am
After a quick lap on powder bowl...

http://contour.com/stories/119696

I headed over to northway which was pretty good too ;D

http://contour.com/stories/119695

Great snow on minimal coverage.

A few pictures...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=50689&id=100000218445455&l=1585836148
Looks like you scored one of the first lines on Powder Bowl.  Nice work.  I'm impressed that you ventured out to Northway.  Where did you roll out? Old bus pickup? or parking lot?

Did 3 laps on Northway Peak then skied snorting elk and took the gap road out. 

Yeah Crystal! Pics from Silver Basin (it was just as tracked out there as when the lifts are spinning and South Back is open). Great snow in spots, no signs of instability

skierlyles hates sick couloirs

Sam trying to avoid the white room

skierlyles enjoying some tentative turns

We saw those 3 tracks off Northway on a late lap out to Morning Glory Bowl, looked very nice.

A light touch was needed on several of the laps we made yesterday, such damn fine snow deserves just a leeeeeetle more base.

Nice tracks on NW Carl. We really underestimated our time, so by the time we got out there. We had to value a long sweet powder run or ski out in the dark. So our group got 1/2 a sweet run and the long walk of shame out. Kinda felt like kissing your sister, but a good looking one, if that makes a difference  ??? Thanks for the skin track. Good to ski with MoFro, PNWBrit, Scotsman. How was the Gap exit?

Kudos to you Freebird getting turns on Northway.  We thought about heading out that way but found the powder around Green Valley to be irresistible.

What a great start to the new ski season.....

Nice action shots A-snob.  Glad to hear you found yourselves some untracked powder.

Guess I really missed out.   ::)

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18041.msg76362#msg76362 date=1290359732]
So our group got 1/2 a sweet run and the long walk of shame out. Kinda felt like kissing your sister, but a good looking one, if that makes a difference  ???  How was the Gap exit?

I've done that walk of shame.  I particularly remember crossing niagras.  
I don't have a sister... ;)
The gap exit was ok if you stayed on the road...    
I got a little overzealous and hit some rocks.
Here's what happened... ::)

http://contour.com/stories/119790

author=altasnob link=topic=18041.msg76354#msg76354 date=1290350440]
Yeah Crystal! Pics from Silver Basin (it was just as tracked out there as when the lifts are spinning and South Back is open). Great snow in spots, no signs of instability

skierlyles hates sick couloirs

Sam trying to avoid the white room

skierlyles enjoying some tentative turns

Good times for sure. Glad to get out with you guys. Was nice to make some tentative turns, and some not so tentative ones! Bases need p-tex, bad.

To Jay, Chris, Brad & Joe:

Surfing has been great for the last couple months!  Thanks for asking! ;)  Guess you guys are making a strong arguement for changing my sex wax for swix.  Consider it done. 

Sincerely,
  Stugie

Dear Stugie,

You're cordially invited to choke on my cold smoke trail anytime you so desire...and please do bring the sex wax. You'll need it as you bear witness to the slaying occurring before you.

Miss you bro, let's get out there soon! BTW, another epically deep day was had today!

Peace...

We were up at Crystal on Saturday too. Saw a line of folks skinning up under Quicksilver and a well established skin track headed towards Bullion, so we opted for the road less traveled, splitting the difference and ending up lapping the Pickhandle Pt and Bear Gap areas. There was evidence of windloading on north-facing slopes and some minor loose snow slides and sluffing below cliff bands, however stability was good, so we skied:

(Disclaimer: no rocks, ski edges, or bases were hurt during the skiing of these slopes, until the ski out on the trail above Elizabeth Creek)

Reply to this TR

nov-20-2010-crystal-northway
FreeBird
2010-11-20 18:17:46