Home > Trip Reports > November 20, 2010, Crystal Mountain, Bull Run

November 20, 2010, Crystal Mountain, Bull Run

11/20/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Ritalin Kid on 11/20/10 8:57am
Yeah this should probably go in the lift access category, but I think I get some backcountry credit since REX wasn't running. Crystal did an amazing job getting the mountain open early this year. I spent the morning hiking around Lake Elizabeth, then when they opened chair 6 I got one lap down Powder Bowl before booting up to the top of Green Valley. Green Valley Bowl was ok, but visibility wasn't great. I left my AT gear in the closet, so all my laps were post holing, but it wasn't all that bad given the solid base under the new snow. Grubstake was in great shape since there wasn't anyone skiing it, but the highlight of the day was a run down Bull Run (top to bottom). This video documents that entire run. I had my camera pointed down a little to much so the POV isn't ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1GaDIMyPsg
Good call on Upper/Lower Bull, and nice vid!

Is Paul Cressman your dad?

author=gregL link=topic=18038.msg76328#msg76328 date=1290301887]
Is Paul Cressman your dad?

Yes he is.

Thanks for the kudos on the video

No need for a second Xtal thread - so here's an addition.

Checked in with patrol (it's easy and friendly (skinner's right of the main lodge), then skinned up and into Silver Basin. Quite a gaggle of folks followed, then extended, our track up and into the bowl. High-shin deep settling blower. Just a glimmer of windslab brewing near the ridgetops.

Heard another party descending ouf the the clouds -- "I just got two core shots, and I don't care!" Steep rollovers seemed to hide rocks, but grassy meadows were great.

Great day with friends old and new.

Reply to this TR

november-20-2010-crystal-mountain-bull-run
Ritalin Kid
2010-11-20 16:57:05