Home > Trip Reports > August 27, 2004, Camp Muir again, MRNP

August 27, 2004, Camp Muir again, MRNP

8/27/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kenji on 8/27/04 7:58am
Yea, it's the same old Muir, which has a definite advantage this time of the year.  Anyway, I figured there had to be a lot of new snow after all that rain for a week, and decided it'd be better today than weekend.  It's a good thing my computer job is flexible these days.  It started out light mist at the parking lot up to about 7500', then was clear above all day.  The skiing is continuous from the Camp all the way down to 7400', just above the creek, except a short 10' ski-ramble at 8200';.  The new snow covers all above 8200'.  It's not powder but well consolidated and smoooooth, made just for skiers.  It may be the best skiing I've ever had on the upper slope above 8500'.  I had to share it with an AT skier, but that was OK since I went back up for another quick one after he had left.  

Not bad a ski-to-hike ratio of 3700/5600 for August, especially given the high quality skiing.  Get it while the supply lasts; it may not stay long.
Thanks for the report Kenji.  Glad you had a good trip.  I might have to get some turns in this weekend before it's gone!

I would be tempted for more turns, but I've got some family things to do this weekend.  

Another option to consider is upper Van Trump up to Camp Hazard.  The slope looked really good, but it would be a long hike from Commet Fall...

Have fun!

Reply to this TR

august-27-2004-camp-muir-again-mrnp
Kenji
2004-08-27 14:58:34