Home > Trip Reports > November 19, 2010, Crystal backcountry

November 19, 2010, Crystal backcountry

11/19/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 11/19/10 7:14am
Good weather as we drove up, then the clouds grabbed the King and began spreading lower. Nice rightside up snow, 16" or so of light stuff on top.  We skied two runs in Silver Basin. Then Dave's Demise on the way back to the base. We know only because we met Dave after skiing it.

Lotsa happy faces all over the mountain.  Thin but great opening day for them. Martin Rand already doing a busy business at the base.
ok, so silver basin is now lift accessible (via the traverse)?  great

edit: high campbell isnt open yet were u riding lifts or what?

Hey, I didn't know about the Martin Rand @ Crystal thing. That is newsworthy. The idea that you could get a boot worked on, run-test it, and then take it right back in for further tweaks, it's brilliant. I definitely need some work on my stock-crappy Spirit3 footbeds to make them bearable, I come back from any long tour hurting bad.

What kind of turnaround for his work was typical, while he was still working at Sturtevants?

And BTW what is Daves Demise? Is that the more sinuous route through trees and gullies that one can take from Elizabeth Lake and end up intersecting Queens? Or something else?

author=cchapin link=topic=18020.msg76242#msg76242 date=1290209855]
ok, so silver basin is now lift accessible (via the traverse)?  great

edit: high campbell isnt open yet were u riding lifts or what?

Upper lifts were not open.  We skied from the base.

They interviewed Silas on KING 5, he was on the evening news, identified as "Cy Wild" and stating that "This is the closest you can get to Utah without actually being there."

The video is online (but missing the Utah quote): http://www.king5.com/home/Washington-states-largest-ski-area-opened--109358459.html

We were there (Dicey, ChainsawWillie and Mtn Man).  Best run was off of Powder Bowl, nice knee deep blower pow.  See you up there next time.

B)

Silas started talking about Hollywood type stuff mid day (proper trail blazing technique to maximize video goodness) it destiny for him to end up on t.v.

author=wolfs link=topic=18020.msg76249#msg76249 date=1290212138]
And BTW what is Daves Demise? Is that the more sinuous route through trees and gullies that one can take from Elizabeth Lake and end up intersecting Queens? Or something else?

Dave's Demise, as he described it the other day, is just north of Party Knoll I believe.  Here's the lower part: http://vimeo.com/17070509  http://vimeo.com/17070537

I think the sinuous route you mention has another name and is tricky to avoid ending up in the gulley just skier's right of Queens.

author=wolfs link=topic=18020.msg76249#msg76249 date=1290212138]
Hey, I didn't know about the Martin Rand @ Crystal thing. That is newsworthy. The idea that you could get a boot worked on, run-test it, and then take it right back in for further tweaks, it's brilliant.

That is exactly the idea as I understand.

Reply to this TR

november-19-2010-crystal-backcountry
silaswild
2010-11-19 15:14:29