Home > Forum > Who else is skiing year-round?

Who else is skiing year-round?

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
17 Aug 2004 18:31 - 17 Aug 2004 18:34 #169672 by Charles
Who else is skiing year-round? was created by Charles
I'm wondering how many people there are who are skiing year-round but do not have a "bio" on this site's year-round skier page ( www.turns-all-year.com/indexyrs.html )? A writer from a ski magazine is doing an article on "ski streaks" and this question came up in our conversation, so I thought I would start this thread to try to answer it. There are 19 skiers on the year-round skier page, some no longer pursuing their streak, but I have seen a number of references in TRs to other skiers and boarders going year-round, or at least working on it.<br><br>If you have a streak going but aren't on the year-round skier page, could you post a little info about your streak here? If there are some responses, at some point this fall I will put out a call for additional bios to be included on the year-round skier page (entirely optional, of course). Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
18 Aug 2004 06:47 #169676 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
If I ski this month it will be the 27th consecutive month I've skied.<br><br>I probably will but I question why. Maybe I'll just take skis along as training weights for an interesting alpine climb. <br><br>Hmmm... I'm gonna scour the Beckey for sizable, mellow pocket glaciers with interesting alpine rock routes above them that don't require a long approach. Any suggestions?<br><br>And I'm gonna call my real estate agent about closing a deal on some ocean-front property in Arizona.<br><br>

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
18 Aug 2004 06:49 #169677 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Try Forbidden. Though the glacier is only a few hundred feet worth of skiing. Plenty of rock climbs with a pocket glacier, but the glaciers tend to be very small. <br><br>I'm hoping to get my first streak this year, since I didn't do a september ski trip last year. &gt;:(

• David_Coleman
  • [David_Coleman]
More
18 Aug 2004 07:26 #169679 by David_Coleman
Replied by David_Coleman on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
screw the year round thing....how about 1st decent streaks??? Sky needs to be in that article given the number of 1sts he's had over the past 2 years 8)

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
18 Aug 2004 09:43 #169680 by Jason_H.
Replied by Jason_H. on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
C'mon Sky. You just sent me an e-mail saying you had a plan ;D. Two days and a pocket glacier. Hmm? I say we just hit park hw fool :D. <br><br>Back to the subject at hand though. My brother and I have skied ~6+ years every month (I would have to look to see) and since age 6 or so about 9-10 months of the year. All in washington, mostly BC. <br><br>I think what is really funny is that the only reason I ski year around now is to justify my past misadventures. August has captured a few of my favorites: CJ couloir to gunsight notch and Dome Peak via Downey creek. Unfortunately i am older and so those may hold the title for sometime. Although, if I reach old age my mental state may have sufficiently degraded to the point that I'll again challenge these. We'll see. Being a weekend warrior leaves five days of the week to dream up some pretty stupid stuff 8). As for reward, that's usually a few turns of bliss, bruised knees and some pics to stoke you for the upcoming season...

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
18 Aug 2004 11:58 #169681 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Well Charles, I ski year-round between injuries, but this doesn't seem to allow extended streaks. Fortunately, I don't actually ski with the intent of maintaining a streak; it just seems like a reasonable way to spend my time, all things considered (I've already skied twice this month, and might find myself out there once more before September...or not, depending). <br><br>I do know several unlisted year-round skiers, and I often run into others on the trails. Some are lurkers on this site, others claim no knowlege or interest. If you intend to recruit, let me know and I'll administer a couple of nudges.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
18 Aug 2004 14:23 #169683 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
It will be 2 years for me this November. I like having a streak, but it's getting a little harder to motivate for really bad conditions. But I hope to keep it going.

More
18 Aug 2004 15:29 #169684 by Pinch
Replied by Pinch on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
[quote author=markharf  Fortunately, I don't actually ski with the intent of maintaining a streak; it just seems like a reasonable way to spend my time.  [/quote]<br> Well said Mark. I agree....

More
19 Aug 2004 08:15 #169689 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I agree with David, we're fortunate to be living in what I believe Lowell calls the "Golden Age of Steep Skiing" when guys like Sky and Jason are laying down epic first descents on a regular basis. Years from now we'll look back and realize we were witnessing history being made . . .

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
19 Aug 2004 16:58 - 19 Aug 2004 16:59 #169691 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I don't exactly disagree with David, but I think his comments are a non-sequitur in the context of how this thread was started. I totally agree that the recent pace of first descents is impressive, and that the people doing them should be recognized for their imagination, skill, and guts. In fact I think the new issue of NW Mountaineering Journal does just that. I am not, however, the one writing the ski streak article, and I was just asking my year-round skiing question because it is something I have been curious about and I thought I could help out the fellow writing the article. If anyone wants to write an article about first descent streaks, there is nothing to stop them from doing so.<br><br>Although skiing consecutive months does not necessarily involve the level of skiing skills, nor the level of objective hazards, of skiing first descents, it does involve a number of other backcountry skills and a long-term committment to achieving a goal. In addition, it is a goal which is accessible to older skiers, and to those with families who may not choose to expose themselves to higher levels of objective hazards. Year-round skiing also, as I have discovered, promotes a really enjoyable sense of community among a group of people who love the snowy mountains. Reading through the bios of year-round skiers on this site suggests to me that most people who set a goal to have a consecutive months ski streak do so for internal, personal reasons, and not for competitive reasons or to impress others. Having met and skied with a number of these skiers, this view has been confirmed for me, and so I think it is great that the general (non-backcountry) skiing community will have a chance to learn about some of these skiers and what motivates them.<br><br>Added: Mark, sure, start nudging.

More
19 Aug 2004 17:36 - 19 Aug 2004 17:38 #169693 by JW
Replied by JW on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
It's all about good times in the mountains, I'm on month nineteen. I feel very fortunate to have come across a group of  people that have the fortitude to say; screw it, life's to short, I'm going skiing at least once a month just because it's great fun!  8) That said, I think first decents and steep lines are awesome!

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Aug 2004 17:53 #169694 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I agree with Charles and JW. Blessed that I can hike, ski and breathe fresh air. Today- I contemplated skiing year round and I am not sure what will come of that thinking?!<br>10 months for me-we can talk in 2 months.<br>As far as other thread busting skiing streaks- I have 32 consecutive years of skiing with at least one piece of duct tape on my clothing. ;)

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Aug 2004 06:08 - 20 Aug 2004 08:34 #169699 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Hear, hear, Charles! I tip my hat to everyone working on a streak, whether they be young or old.<br><br>I've never skied year-round myself, but it seems like a great project.  We all need projects.  I appreciate Charles' comments about how year-round skiing involves diverse skills, long-term commitment, community spirit, and how it is suitable for older skiers and those with families.<br><br>Those are some of the reasons why I launched my ski mountaineering history project.  I think of it as a four-year (so far) virtual ski trip, maybe the best ski trip I've ever taken.<br><br>So here's to projects, whatever they may be!<br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
20 Aug 2004 17:19 - 20 Aug 2004 17:22 #169706 by Charles
Good point about projects, Lowell. If I didn't have some of those I'd probably just be wasting my life watching TV. My problem with projects, though, is that I tend to get too many going, and with project #1 being kids sometimes that makes things complicated.<br><br>Thanks to everyone who has responded so far about their consecutive months streak, and looking forward to hearing from more.<br><br>Added: Joe, looks like you've moved to the top in the duct tape streak category - first out of one - nice job!

• The_Snow_Troll
  • [The_Snow_Troll]
More
24 Aug 2004 15:06 #169710 by The_Snow_Troll
Replied by The_Snow_Troll on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I agree that TAY isn't really what it's all about, that's for the hokee pokee, but I'm in too far now to turn back. This September will be 4 years. I'm a year behind two friends that lurk here (more than me)...I had a 3 year streak going at one time and I let a lady get between me and the snow....now I'm married to that woman and we have worked out my needs for snow play...I'm even bending her to my ways...slowly<br><br>On the subject of streaks...sorry to rain on peoples parades, but what the hell is with streaks with missing months....you either skied or you didn't...no excuses....if you didn't ski start the clock over!!!<br><br>Best Summer Skiing: June 2004 Adams SW Chute, July 2002 Perisher Blue Australia, August 2004 Fresh Tracks from Muir.<br><br>Worst Summer Skiing: September....just pick one...

More
25 Aug 2004 03:34 #169711 by skip
Replied by skip on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Charles,<br><br>September turns will mark 24 months for me. Like some other skiers here, I was skiing 8-9 months a year when I met some TAY posters with rather impressive streaks. So at first I set 12 months as a goal, just to do it. I've noticed, however, that somewhere between then and now monthly turns became less a goal and more simply what I enjoy doing.<br><br>If nothing else, it's added motivation to continually get up high. Add to the equation that there's little I'd rather do than ski, and even September's bulletproof suncups, rocks, and dirt somehow provide a good time.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Aug 2004 12:06 #169718 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I've been reading old Free Snow magazines in the course of my research. There's an article in the Summer 1993 issue about year-round skiing. (Great teaser in the cover--"Skiing Every Month...Hard Core or Hard Up?")<br><br>Anyway, this article mentions a "Ski-of-the-Month" Club formed by a group of REI employees. It names Steve Edquist, Diane Levy and Dennis Lombard, who were all nearing the three-year mark at that time. Jim Drannan of Bremerton was up to 43 months at that point. (I see on your profiles page that he has retired.)<br><br>I don't know these other folks, but if they're still at it, they'd have some pretty impressive streaks going by now!

More
31 Aug 2004 04:53 #169734 by Mike_C
Replied by Mike_C on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Charles,<br>I'm a long time lurker and skied with you, Mark Harf, Steve B and others in Mt. Baker backcountry last winter. You had some very nice shots of me and others skiing that day that made the cover of this website and Telemark Tips. Thanks for a great site.<br><br>A friend and I started our streak 70 months ago when we lived in VT. Skiing each month has gotten much easier since moving to the PNW. Each month I think of letting it go, but can't seem to stop. We will see what happens in September, but powder could lurk up high.<br><br>Mike

More
02 Sep 2004 16:49 #169754 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
. . . and then there's TOMSKI on ttips bagging his 300th month in a row!<br><br>www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21346

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
06 Sep 2004 17:15 - 06 Sep 2004 17:19 #169769 by Charles
Yep, Tomski is amazing. I imagine that his streak will get some attention in that upcoming Ski Mag article.<br><br>Mike, how could I not remember you - "Hi-Speed Mike"!<br><br>Lowell, that article sounds a lot like one I remember reading that first made me aware of the idea of skiing year round, except I thought that the group of skiers lived in Colorado.<br><br>Thanks to everyone who has posted info about their streak. I have heard of several more, including a California skier who just got #120, and his friend who is only "a few months" behind that.<br><br>A little later in the fall, when I have time, I will contact everyone who has posted here to solicit "profiles" to add to the year-round skier page (optional, of course). If you will want to do this, you can also track down your favorite photo of you skiing to be included with your profile. Anyone who would like to add their profile but hasn't posted yet can still post here or contact me directly (contact link at bottom of page).

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
06 Sep 2004 18:54 #169770 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?

I will contact everyone who has posted here to solicit "profiles" to add to the year-round skier page (optional, of course). If you will want to do this, you can also track down your favorite photo of you skiing to be included with your profile.

<br><br>Promise not to add any of us to the "Biffs All Year" page?

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
13 Sep 2004 08:41 #169785 by Charles
Mark: nope. If anyone is foolish enough to do a biff in front of my camera, they are fair game for the next installment of Biffs-All-Year. Of course, to keep things fair, I will try to include a photo of me skiing badly...they are just so rare. ;)

More
13 Sep 2004 16:55 #169791 by kam
Replied by kam on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
hey Charles,<br><br>for me, sand, rocks, dirt, trees, shrubs, alder, grass, asphalt and gravel count, as long as a pair of skis are strapped to my feet. ;D i'm at 24 months and extremely hooked on the idea of turns-all-year. i REALLY love to ski! anyway, i'll continue racking up the months....<br><br>-kam

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
23 Nov 2004 09:34 #170163 by Charles
The SkiMag article about "ski streaks" is out. It looks like the typical "gee whiz" kind of story, no doubt due to the editor's demands rather than the author's abilities. Did I really say that? There are actually two articles, the first one being the main story and the second just some "profiles":<br> The Streakers <br> The Streakers: Streaks and Streakers <br><br>
<br><br>This would seem like a good time for me to solicit some real "profiles" of year round skiers to add to the 20 on the page on my site (www.turns-all-year.com/indexyrs.html). So, any of you who have skied in at least 12 consecutive months are invited to send me your profile. Here are the sections of a profile:

1. How I got started skiing year-round:
2. Criteria for what counts as a ski trip:
3. Biggest threat to my streak:
4. Type of equipment I use:
5. Strategy for skiing through the low season:
6. Worst and best backcountry ski trips:
7. Skiing activities in the past year:
8. Consecutive months (please give the number of months at the end of a specific month [eg. 30 months as of Nov. 30, 2004]):<br>9. Please indicate if it is OK to share your email address with the other skiers on the page (your email will not be released in any other way; so far, all 20 have said yes):<br>10. One or two photos (jpeg) of you - best is one good action shot and another that really shows what you look like; photos are optional.<br><br>Please copy and paste the above and use it to fill in your info. Keeping all of this info organized seems to take me quite a bit of time, so if everyone sticks to this format it will be easier for me. You might also want to keep a copy for yourself, just in case there is a problem in sending it. I will wait a little while for profiles to come in before posting them.<br><br>Send your profile/photos to:<br>yearroundskier at turns-all-year dot com<br><br>I will probably inactivate this email address eventually since it will probably get picked up by spammers.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
23 Nov 2004 12:02 - 23 Nov 2004 13:18 #170164 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Hi Charles, are there a minimum number of consecutive months required to submit a profile? Are 13 months too meager? Skiing in August and September was so much fun this year I don't feel I've acquired any TAY "torture points" yet. Is this okay? Does it negate my streak?<br><br>After having several 9 month seasons this was the first time I went the full year (thanks in part to *this* great site). :)<br><br>Jeff<br>

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
23 Nov 2004 15:36 #170169 by Charles
Jeff, I have been taking the minimum to be 12 months, since any less is not "turns all year", so 13 would certainly qualify. Presumably many people just over 12 months now will have much longer streaks in a few years. I think it would be interesting to have some profiles from people who are in the early stages of their streaks. It is kind of alarming how many of the 20 skiers are now over 100 months - time to get some new blood in there! I agree about this year's August and September (October too) - they were fun, not just something to get done (see what I mean about new blood?).

More
29 Nov 2004 14:54 #170182 by AndyP
Replied by AndyP on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Ann and I are in the early stages of turning all year, in part due to this website and the Muir snowfield. We just completed our first year and are now on month 13. As you mentioned, the conditions in late summer and early fall were good which made it easy to do.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
30 Nov 2004 10:32 #170197 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Happy to say that with a quick trip before work to Paradise yesterday I made it to 24 months. Hard to imagine making a streak as long as some of y'all have without something breaking it up. I guess it just keeps rolling, we'll see if I can make it that high.

More
30 Nov 2004 11:21 #170199 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
Way to go, Corey.<br>I've found that it gets easier as the streak gets longer and like minded ski partners become more plentiful.<br>Keep up the great trips and reports.

More
30 Nov 2004 17:16 #170202 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Who else is skiing year-round?
I suppose I'm still skiing year round. Give or take 2 months over 8 years. Maybe two streaks of 4 yrs sounds better.Like Ron says "when I stop skiing I ain't having fun"