Home > Trip Reports > 10 27, 2010, Mt. Hood Oregon. Mt. Hood Meadows

10 27, 2010, Mt. Hood Oregon. Mt. Hood Meadows

10/15/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Snowolf on 11/16/10 9:39am
October Surprise

Well, La Nina blessed the Pacific Northwest with a storm of epic proportion; dumping 3 feet of snow on Mt. Hood before the end of October. Today was a break between systems with glorious bluebird conditions for a better part of the day. Needless to say, I had to go out there and get me some.

It was a brutal day, for I work nights and got off shift around 9:00 AM and then drove up to Mt. Hood Meadows. Being the procrastinator that I am, I still have not committed to a split board yet and so, once again got to enjoy slogging through 3 feet of snow on snowshoes. I began my climb from the lodge at noon and made for Vista Ridge on Meadows` western edge. This ridge is ideal for climbing since it is always wind scoured and you have good footing. I made it to the 8300 foot level on the moraine that separates White River and Clark Canyon, high above Cascade by 4:00 PM. By this time, the weather was closing in fast and the temperatures was dropping like a rock down a well.

I put the gear in the pack and strapped on the faithful old rock board and enjoyed 3 miles and 3,000 vertical feet of some really incredible powder. On the lee side of Vista Ridge, where snow is wind loaded, it had to be 20 feet deep in places. Did a couple of little 8 foot cornice drops off of Vista into the pillowy powder. Once back below tree line, enjoyed some nice lazy turns through the trees. All in all an incredible day for October!

Reply to this TR

10-27-2010-mt-hood-oregon-mt-hood-meadows
Snowolf
2010-11-16 17:39:43