Home > Forum > Looking for a "vigorous woman skier"

Looking for a "vigorous woman skier"

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Aug 2004 09:40 #169662 by Lowell_Skoog
Sherry Stipling from the Seattle Times contacted me about a story she's working on. I'm not sure how soon she needs a reply, but if you can suggest somebody that she might profile, please let me know. You can post a response here, send me a private message, or e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Here's Sherry's message:

Hi Lowell,
I'm Sherry Stripling, a feature writer at The Seattle Times (I see two of my ancient stories on your list of ski history in the Northwest). I'm doing a story on the lifestyle of women who do extreme sports. My editor has a particular love of Telemarking. Would you have a suggestion of a vigorous woman skier in the Northwest who lives to get the most out of her sport?
Thanks very much.
Sherry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Aug 2004 10:16 #169663 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Looking for a "vigorous woman skier"
I received a clarifying message from Sherry Stripling:<br><br>===<br>Actually, I'll be out of town next week so I really won't get started on this story until I get back. Any help appreciated. Thanks very much, Lowell. I think we're looking for someone who is "out there" in terms of time devoted to the sport, acceptance of some danger, what that means for the way she lives in order to maintain her passion and what it can teach the rest of us in regard to being very alive. The plan is to also talk to a mountain climber, and either an Iron Woman or Ultra marathoner, and then possibly a base jumper or someone else who gets her thrill from the air. At least that's the plan in the very early stages.<br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>Sherry

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
20 Aug 2004 05:49 #169698 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Looking for a &quot;vigorous woman skier&quot;
Thanks to everyone who sent me suggestions for Sherry Stripling's story. I have forwarded the following names to Sherry, together with whatever background information I received. I don't know most of these women personally, and I told Sherry so. I don't know who Sherry will decide to contact for her story.<br><br>Katharine Bill, Winthrop<br>Midge Cross, Mazama<br>Carole Hill, Hyak<br>Gwen Hunt, Portland <br>Monika Johnson, Seattle<br>Anne Keller, Mazama<br>Lara Pazemenas, Seattle<br>Sydney Schuck, Mt Baker<br>Margaret Wheeler, Seattle<br><br>Several other names were suggested to me, but I didn't forward these to Sherry because they don't live in Washington, and I know Sherry is looking for local women.<br><br>Merrie-Beth Board<br>Meagan Carney<br>Jacqui Hudson <br>Kari Medig<br>Heather Paul<br>Leslie Ross<br>Lena Rowat <br><br>I asked Sherry if she wanted me to stop sending her names, and she didn't reply, so if anybody else contacts me, I will continue to forward the names along.<br>

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Sep 2004 07:27 #169748 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Looking for a &quot;vigorous woman skier&quot;
I've forwarded a few more late referrals to Sherry Stripling during the past week or so. Here's a message I received from her today (9/2):<br><br>Subject: RE: Looking for a "vigorous woman skier"<br>From: "Sherry Stripling" &lt;sstripling@seattletimes.com&gt;

Hi Lowell,
Thanks for all your help.
You can pull the plug now. I have three inspiring women in hand.
Your group has been so good to offer all these ideas.
Story now runs Sept. 20, I believe.
Sherry

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Sep 2004 14:56 - 19 Sep 2004 14:58 #169824 by Lowell_Skoog
Sherry Stripling's article ran in today's Seattle Times. She profiled climber Christine Boskoff, paraglider pilot C.J. Sturtevant, and backcountry skier (and T.A.Y. denizen) Lara Pazemenas.  Here is the link:<br><br>seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2002038757_extreme19.html

Congratulations ladies!

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
20 Sep 2004 16:29 #169829 by Charles
Lowell, thanks for the update. You are famous, Lara! I can't wait to get some more photos of you descending "the raw faces of Mount Rainier, Mount Baker and the many peaks around Snoqualmie Pass"!<br>

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
20 Sep 2004 17:24 #169830 by markharf
I had the pleasure (with several dozen other frequent posters) of spotting Lara descending precisely those "raw faces" yesterday. Congratulations on your new fame!

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
20 Sep 2004 17:35 #169831 by powscraper
"ski-streaker" ;D