Home > Trip Reports > November 13, 2010, Crystal Mtn, Green Valley

November 13, 2010, Crystal Mtn, Green Valley

11/13/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by shaman on 11/13/10 10:19am
I arrived at the parking lot around 9:30.  The snow at the base was sparse and unskiable.  I could not see any farther up the hill due to the cloud cover, but I had high hopes that Green Valley would be holding on to some snow so I strapped my board on my back and headed out.  On the way up I ran into a group of 3 who had decided to leave their skis in the car because another group told them they had been up to Rex and there was no skiable snow. 

I headed up Kelley's Gap Road walking on 2-6 inches of snow most of the way up.  It wasn't until I reached the bottom of the Green Valley bowl I knew I made a geat choice.  Walking up to the ridge in boot top to knee deep powder I had a grin from ear to ear.  There was no evidence of any ski tracks from the previous days and I had the entire valley to myself. 

I got strapped in and was just about to drop in when my binding broke.  Lucky for me I had a couple of ski straps and managed to get it to hold my foot in my binding.  It was a little loose but good enough to ride some pow.  I made it down to the bottom of the lift just as the group that left their boards behind made it up.  Judging from the language I would say they were pissed off. 

Took 4 laps total..no rocks, not even through the trees.  The snow was a bit heavy near the bottom of the bowl.  I did set off a few minor sluffs about 6" deep on the more exposed slopes but nothing to worry about.  Although it might be something to consider in the future....

It was a great day with some spectacular early season snow.....which has got me all juiced up for the ski season.
Nice call!  I suspected Green Valley to be good, same altitude as Chinook Pass.  Good for you booting it up there.  Nice job on the binding repair. 

I dig your optimism.

FLow rep..  949-361-5260.....

tell em you fear for your life in the bc and need spare parts. They sent me a nicely stocked bag of harware.  straps, rachets, all them funky screws flow uses....

Thanks alecapone!  I will be giving them a call. 

Way to get after it on boot, there is something especially satisfying about marching up the hill on foot.  Heavy goods in Silver Basin, too.

author=~Link~ link=topic=17927.msg75908#msg75908 date=1289760462]
there is something especially satisfying about marching up the hill on foot. 

Sounds like the banter of youth.
There is also something especially satisfying about getting out of your car and starting to ski right away.  ;D

author=~Link~ link=topic=17927.msg75908#msg75908 date=1289760462]
Way to get after it on boot, there is something especially satisfying about marching up the hill on foot.  Heavy goods in Silver Basin, too.

Conversely, there is something especially dissatisfying about marching DOWNHILL with skis on your shoulder. Nice to meet you out there Link!

author=Joedabaker link=topic=17927.msg75909#msg75909 date=1289761575]
There is also something especially satisfying about getting out of your car and starting to ski right away.  ;D

Thanks for the validation of my long held belief on the sport of backcountry "skiing" versus "hiking".  I developed this belief in my late 50's and now being in my mid 60's I think I'm on to something rather novel.  :D

Incoming !  ::)

One of these days I'll purchase a "real" splitboard instead of limping around on my homemade one (which is in repair atm).  Then I can be considered a "lazy" backcountry skier too.  ;D

It's probably just my poor skinning skills, but if there is a good boot track, (ie Muir or Sherman) I can boot it up faster than I can skin it.

Reply to this TR

november-13-2010-crystal-mtn-green-valley
shaman
2010-11-13 18:19:16