Home > Trip Reports > November 12, 2010, Muir Snow field

November 12, 2010, Muir Snow field

11/12/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by crustos on 11/12/10 1:07pm
Ran into Don (Juan) in the Paradise parking lot, and he invited me to join with Holly, Chris and Ed. We had some  pleasant conversations along the way, and everybody seemed real nice, until they ganged up on me near the end to write this report:

It was snowing lightly until the top of Panorama Point, and we flirted with the tops of the clouds for awhile before breaking out into the tropics. Lots of sun over a sea of clouds.
Our up route took us climbers€™ right above P Point, near the crest, and involved a few short sections with a lot of rocks. High point was around 9k. We descended via Pebble Creek, which had rocks of its own, but didn€™t seem as bad. We rejoined our up route near Pan Point.
The snow was windblasted in most places above Pan Point, with a lot of challenging inconsistency in the crust. Pan face skied pretty well considering all the visible hazards. And the lower section was everybody€™s favorite, with decent coverage and nice powder.

That was fun. Hope to see ya€™ll soon.
author=crustos link=topic=17913.msg75841#msg75841 date=1289624835]
and everybody seemed real nice, until they ganged up on me near the end to write this report

Nice, Paul... :)

One of those days to pay heed to Ron and Jeanette's mantra, why pass up good snow for better? Still, kind of sweet to end a fun day in the sun with preserved powder and snow flurries. A perfectly pleasant finale!

And good chance to fine tune our creative alibis and getaway techniques for yet another season of ski bumming for the fully employed.

Great day with my favorite guys!

Good report Paul!  Great skiing with you, too.  I could have done with more of the lower snow and less of the upper snow.  I did alot of thrashing due to the windpacked layer.  But I guess that's what happens when I try to ski with the upper crust.  ;D  But for all the faceshots (plants), I escaped with no broken bones.  Only my ego is pretty bruised.  And you're right - from Pan Point down it was beautiful!  It's amazing how much new snow the Paradise area got while we were up in the sunshine all day. 

(Yes, Holly, I already confessed my cheating to my regular partner.)  ;D

author=crustos link=topic=17913.msg75841#msg75841 date=1289624835]
The snow was windblasted in most places above Pan Point, with a lot of challenging inconsistency in the crust.

Wow, what a difference two days makes!   I knew we had a special day on Wednesday, you have confirmed it.

Two days did make quite a difference Silas, and today there wasn't a breath of wind. It was summer up top!

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=17913.msg75845#msg75845 date=1289626642]
(Yes, Holly, I already confessed my cheating to my regular partner.)  ;D

Glad you were able to get out Don... you weren't flailing so much as you think. Pictures say quite the contrary as the first is you and the second... I'll let him remain anonymous :)

author=Teleskichica link=topic=17913.msg75848#msg75848 date=1289627371]
the second... I'll let him remain anonymous :) 

Well whoever he is he's keeping his tips up - WAY UP!

???

If yer not crashing, yer not skiing hard enough.

And "there's no such thing as bad snow..."

author=Teleskichica link=topic=17913.msg75848#msg75848 date=1289627371]
the first is you and the second... I'll let him remain anonymous :)

I feel pretty good about this. A more accurate depiction of the day would have had me falling in both of these shots.

author=crustos link=topic=17913.msg75873#msg75873 date=1289672760">
I feel pretty good about this. A more accurate depiction of the day would have had me falling in both of these shots.

Even better Paul... it ain't you.  :)

More redeeming photos here.

author=kneel turner link=topic=17913.msg75853#msg75853 date=1289631663]
???  If yer not crashing, yer not skiing hard enough.  And "there's no such thing as bad snow..."

But there are bad skiers.  ;)  Seriously - I would like to work on that kind of snow more - and try that "hammering through it"style.  Maybe I should have been grunting louder going into every turn.  (Paul Parker reference).

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=17913.msg75875#msg75875 date=1289674324]
Maybe I should have been grunting louder going into every turn.  (Paul Parker reference).

Growling like a bear seems to improve my turns (at least when I'm skiing on Kodiaks).  I picked it up from a 4-year old kid at Snoqualmie with a bear-head mask on his helmet.

Reply to this TR

november-12-2010-muir-snow-field
crustos
2010-11-12 21:07:15