Home > Trip Reports > August 8, 2004, Paradise Glacier, Mt. Rainier

August 8, 2004, Paradise Glacier, Mt. Rainier

8/8/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charles on 8/9/04 1:12am
Lara, Silas, and I arrived at the 4th Crossing trailhead at the appointed time, and there were no other skiers. That didn't last long. Stefan and Eric pulled up, then Jeanette and Ron. Shortly thereafter Skip and Jordy showed up. As we were about to start hiking, Todd and Paul appeared, along with Paul's cousins from New Jersey who were dying to try some August skiing (although Paul apparently neglected to tell them that the only high-speed quads were the ones below their waists). It was a beautiful morning, the air having been cleansed by the recent rain, sunny but cool. The usually bare rock areas of the upper mountain were strikingly white with new snow. Hiking up the trail the masses were startled and amused by the thundering herd of fools carrying skis ("Do you think you will find any snow?"). A stiff easterly breeze kept things cool on Mazama Ridge, and we hit snow entering the lower Paradise Glacier valley at about 6200'. The snow was mildly suncupped - very good for this time of year - and already softening in the sun. We knew that there would be a couple of snow-free areas going up the valley, so everyone just booted.

From the area at the bottom of the toe of the Paradise Glacier, sub-groups went different ways, sampling various aspects, mainly north to east. Most of the snow was minimally suncupped and provided for excellent turns. We went up to about 8000' on the Paradise Glacier, stopping at the big crack (although there appeared to be some reasonable choices for getting across it and continuing higher). New snow from the recent storm had drifted pretty heavily into the cracks, but deposited only a 1-2" skim on the glacier itself between 7500' and 8000', and this was very nice to ski. Fresh powder in August!

Here's a photo of Silas posing at the big crack at 8000':

Back at the parking lot, Chef MadDog once again grilled to perfection and we enjoyed a gourmet feast: spicy turkey sausages on naan, BBQ ribs, fresh garden tomatoes and cukes in a light dill vinaigrette, sweet potatoes stuffed with beans, goat cheese on delicate crackers, and, of course, appropriately chilled beverages. Thanks everyone for a fun day of August turns!
Very nice report, Charles.
That's always a reliable and enduring destination, albiet not as close to the car as geezers prefer.
It is always fun to meet new folks to enjoy the backcountry with (Jordy and Lara, for me) as well as ski with others that you haven't seen for a while. Lara drew quite quite a crowd, eh?  :)
And hey, MadDog, great job on the Apre' BBQ/Tailgate Party!!  It was especially fun with the mix of new and familiar folks.  MadDog and I were commenting on the way home that it did however, seem a bit strange sans one of our regulars (uh, yeah, Jer, that'd be you).  Hope to get some pics up in the next day or two so you can see what you missed (and I'm sure you'll reciprocate ;) )

It was a very fun ski, and the weather couldn't have been better.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to our potluck BBQ.  Yum  ;D

Thanks to everyone for making my 200th ski day an absolute blast! I had a wonderful meeting, skiing, playing, and eating-we all have wonderful tastes! My surgery was a success (though different than expected)and I plan to be up and skiing by the end of September assuming all goes well. I look forward to heading out with the gang again!

~Lara P.

Sounds like I missed a good trip. I was stuck on my boat watching scantily clad women, Blue Angels and oh yeah hydroplanes  ;)   See you soon ---- Jerry

Jerry: Your boat is no doubt christened the "Chick Magnet II"?

Only one CM, nothing repels women like a station wagon ;) ,

Huh, I heard it was re-christened the Babe Bucket.  It had been the Rust Bucket but Jerry painted one of the seats in it.

I think were getting off topic ;D

Ah! It was a good day indeed. Charles, my nephews were warned ahead of time that no lifts were available still the vertical offered by The Stash is greater then any "Ski Area" in N.J.[I believe?] And they may have appriciated a lift as they climbed back to the top of the stash vowing never to listen to me again. My sister, her daughter, and my younger brother were also along for the hike. They were impressed by the mountains' size and by the numbers of skiers they saw and also had a whale of a day. A trip to Black Pk. from Rainey Pass and getting all 5 from 'Joisey' on the summit made the trip complete and the East Coasters went home happy. TAY is now a required web stop for the Family

Paul

It was a fine day for some turns indeed.   And here are some pictures as proof:

http://community.webshots.com/album/175134866tfTrkn

Charles, my nephews were warned ahead of time that no lifts were available

I figured that was the case, but hey...I think that's called literary license. Good to see you again - maybe we can get together again for your annual October 31 ski!

Thanks to everyone for making my 200th ski day an absolute blast! I had a wonderful meeting, skiing, playing, and eating-we all have wonderful tastes! My surgery was a success (though different than expected)and I plan to be up and skiing by the end of September assuming all goes well. I look forward to heading out with the gang again!

~Lara P.

So that was your 200th ski day ever?  Congratulations!  Have you counted all along, or is that just an estimate?  Hmmm... I'm gonna waste some time and estimate how many days I've skied.

So that was your 200th ski day ever?  Congratulations!  Have you counted all along, or is that just an estimate?  Hmmm... I'm gonna waste some time and estimate how many days I've skied.

25.  (All the other times you were alpine climbing in reverse.)  This Lara person is whoopin' yer ass bro.

Yes gentleman...my 200th ski day in my life, no estimates here! I've been skiing 27 years, but only really went for it about 8 years ago (been "streaking" for 3+years now!). I wish I could say I've skied more, but it can only get better from here!

~Lara

In the event this was out of mind, some additional pics to rattle the memory are to be found at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/181931018CqKqOc

Sorry for the delay in gettin these out - I done been outta town.

Reply to this TR

august-8-2004-paradise-glacier-mt-rainier
Charles
2004-08-09 08:12:58