Home > Trip Reports > November 11, 2010, Chinook Pass

November 11, 2010, Chinook Pass

11/11/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jt on 11/11/10 9:46pm
Expecting more of a hiking day than a skiing day,  ;D started with the first steps into the light, fluffy stuff. We headed up from the lower parking lot, skirting the lake in the basin to the ridge line. Skinned up to a nice entrance about mid-ridge to a nice drop-in. Powder all the way and no rocks tagged. Back up and around for the second lap and to the gap. Dropped off the back into more amazing snow. Followed the well-groomed skin track back up and dropped though a powdery gap into a steep little roll around some rocks. Got a little faceshot, opened up the throttle, laid into a turn, and, "Ooh, a rock. Ooh, another." Nothing bad, but enough for me to shout back to my buddy, "Ski light. Ski light". Traversed high across the basin into the trees on the other side where some good turns and jumps off rocks led back to the road and back to the car. Best turns of the season! So far that is....

I'll try to get a couple pictures and video clips up before too long.
Sure was a fun day. and not only was the snow quality unexpected, so too was the weather quality better than expected.

Wow, that's a lot of tracks!   Mother Nature shook the etch-a-sketch to clear it all overnight I guess.  Today was a blank slate.

Reply to this TR

november-11-2010-chinook-pass
jt
2010-11-12 05:46:52