Home > Trip Reports > November 10,10-Hortsman Glacier

November 10,10-Hortsman Glacier

11/15/10
Posted by Atraslin on 11/11/10 4:48pm
Wicked area for early season turns.The only problem is you have to hike for three hours
to get there.But I tell you there's nothing like laying boot top powder turns on Blackcomb
with no people, no crowds.I call it the poor mans heli skiing.I just wish I would have gotten
up earlier, so we could have ski farmed the whole thing.It's not very often we get sunny days
around here at this time of the year.

I was also stoked to finish climbing 2 million feet backcountry skiing and mountain biking in less than two years.

Andy first turns of the day.

Mike skiing boot top pow.

Get up earlier next time so you don't have to ski rocks in the dark.

Photos: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin
author=Atraslin link=topic=17903.msg75785#msg75785 date=1289551732]
I was also stoked to finish climbing 2 million feet backcountry skiing and mountain biking in less than two years...

Holy Kashmoly!  I'd love to have legs like that again. Curious, are you using one of the Sunnto watches to log your journey?  I've found them useful and accurate.  Nice job!, and nice lines

Congrats on the 2 mil, Andy and Mike!

Nothing like Whistler without all the people!

I absolutely love that last picture and caption. Thanks AT!

Thank for sharing Andy....

I told you it was going to be worth it....

We should have gone for the Alpine start like I suggested....(The last photo of Andy.....I think he was ready to stay up high and tour all night...Next time we will leave earlier than eleven thirty from base 2 of Blackcomb.

Congratulations, season-openers. Where does skinnable snow begin if you start from base 2 at Blackcomb. Whistler Creekside any better? Thanks, N

If you want to be nice to your skins you can start skinning at the bottom of cat skinner....

It took about 3 hours to hike to the top of the Hortsman....At this elevation we found the good snow...

Thanks!

Lets hope for a good safe winter!

Reply to this TR

november-10-10-hortsman-glacier
Atraslin
2010-11-12 00:48:52