Home > Trip Reports > Maple Pass, North Cascades, 11/11/10

Maple Pass, North Cascades, 11/11/10

11/15/10
Posted by skifish on 11/11/10 9:20am
I haven't posted in a while since retiring my streak (128 months, an MCL tear in July of '09 coupled with progressive sun cup fatigue).  Moved from Enumclaw to Winthrop this summer, now playing on Hwy 20. 

Hiked then skinned up to Heather Pass, saw tracks from previous day.  Once I got to the ridge between Heather and Maple Pass, no tracks, just fabulous views to North (Liberty Bell) and South (Snowy Range).  Skinned up to Maple Pass, made some turns down the other side towards Rainy Lake.  Then lovely boot top down the ridge then chutes to Heather Pass  The finish was a truly hair raising descent down the trail on a ribbon of snow between boulder fields.

I can never seem to get photos to attach consistently on this site, so here is a link to a little video I made from my iPhone stills:

http://www.youtube.com/user/skifish50?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/DYx4-_-XYUU

Since the trailhead is only 25 minutes from my house, I am probably coming back soon!  If you know any backcountry weekend warriors in the area, shoot me a PM.  I can't keep going solo.
Thanks for the report, nice music, you must be a geezer like me and Scotty.  Looks like he was just a week early in his North Cascades visit.  We westerners need to head east before the pass closes!

Heh.  I've done that luge run out along the trail.  Truly terrifying.  Glad you got some good turns up there.

The Maple and Heather Pass area (basically Rainy Pass) gets more snow than Washington Pass, making it a good spot for early-season skiing, luge run aside.  In the springtime Washington Pass has better and easier options, so that's where we west-siders end up going by default.  I mean, when someone drags those Seattle-dwellers kicking and screaming in protest away from the Muir Snowfield.   

Mark

Reply to this TR

maple-pass-north-cascades-11-11-10
skifish
2010-11-11 17:20:33