Home > Trip Reports > August 1, 2004, Pinnacle Slush Cup!!

August 1, 2004, Pinnacle Slush Cup!!

8/1/04
Posted by JW on 8/1/04 9:05am
Damn that was fun!!! ;D ;D ;D  The Second Annual Slush Cup is in the books and I don't see how it could have been much better. The weather, the pond, the crowd, and some truly memorable runs across,through,and under the slush. All of it was just great!   Skip turned in the winning run with the always popular cross two bodies of water and run your skis fifteen feet up onto the gravel beach tactic ! Nobody saw that coming!  8)
Here he is in the winners circle gettin a big hug from Maddog

Thanks to everyone for a great day, I'm already looking forward to next year! -----    Jerry

pics are up @ http://community.webshots.com/album/170547540yJdwAl

If I'd known there was a hug from Mad Dog at stake, I'd've been there.  As it is, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with written reports and photographs.  

A quicky video TR is here: 12MB WMV7

Wow, what a day, 20 "slush cuppers" participating in the 2nd annual event!  ;D  As the day went on, the sun heating the slope and the competition, we moved from the "kiddie" pool to "BIG" water, with higher speeds, bigger splashes, wet boots, and many laughs, finishing up with our usual tailgate party at the end.   ;D
Can't wait until next August.   8)

Wow.
Randy's the man for getting his viddy processed and posted so quick.  Nice job Randy.
I can't think of a better way to get fall turns in.  What a hoot.  Thanks all, for showing up and helping make it a time to remember. We even drew a spectator crowd of climbers at the top of Castle Peak; we could hear them cheering up there.  Ran into one on the way down and he said they liked Jimjar's crash into the water the best... the one where he went totally submersed and lost his hat.  
Thanks also to the MadDog for putting on another great tail gate party and bbq.
I got a feeling next year will be even better.  
Now to get a full card full of pics culled and posted...

Who were all of the snowboarders in the video?  Guess I should have gone... >:(

Thanks Jerry, my fellow participants, and the fine, fine people at Olympia beer without whom the day would not have been possible.  I can say without question this was the best Slush Cup I've ever been to, and I look forward to 2005.

I looked through my pics last night and there's some really good ones; I'll post them tonight.
-s

I'm with Skip - definitely the best Slush Cup I've been too! I'm looking forward to next year's festivities...snoslut promised he'd be sporting a bikini...

Thanks, Jerry, Ron, Mad_Dog and gang for another great time skiing!

And to think that I spent the weekend indoors at a PC working on a presentation.Where are my priorities??

If you are having trouble with the Neptune site, the video is now also availible here: Link

Sounds and looks like it was a BLAST!

I was up til 4 AM at the going away party for a good friend of mine. (She's moving to Santa Fe).  Needless to say, my day was just beginning as the turns were being made in the slush!  Look forward to being able to attend next year.

Peter

that was a perfect day. views, music,laughs, people and conditions could not have been better.
thanks to everyone that played I had a blast.
I'll get the few pics I took up soon

Sweetness.

Thanks for the tunes, the stickers, the turns, and of course the company.

Couldn't have started August any better.

yup, who would've thought that 160 vertical feet of snow and a meltwater pond could be so much fun.  
Had a great day up there, hopefully meet up with some of y'all for bigger trips this winter.

My photos are at

Mine are split into my favorites:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/170254329/170584298CkFUOB

And my almost favorites:
http://community.webshots.com/album/170586563XPjvCf

For some reason webshots is being fussy tonight - if you get a screen that says something to the effect of "This album has been moved", just hit refresh on your browser once or twice - that should take care of it.

enjoy!
-s

Great vid randy.  Awesome pics jw and skip.  Especially the one of jimjar doing the nestea plung.  Ah sun, beer, snow, pond, laughs...good times.  Can't wait till next year.

Did the goats not get an invite?

Hey username the single plankers were Allyson, Eddie, Jim, Stephan (and skis), and myself.

Awesome pictures. Can't wait till next year when I am going to pull my back flip rodeo over the pond. Thank you to all who put this incredible day.

Outstanding Company!!
What a great time!! The pictures just bring back the memories! I love Skip's shot of Pete doing the "Pete Rose" into home plate! A must see!! Great pictures by all!! Thanks Mad Dog for the Home Wrecker! Thanks JW for all your efforts to make it happen! A great way to bring in August and clean my Tele boots. I can't wait to check out Randy's Viddy. Great meeting new faces and look forward to us sliding down hill in the future.

Jerry's shot #64 is a winner . . . is that Kelly Slater?

OK kids I have to say I'm sorry. I got new skis and forgot everything else, so the few pics I got are from the approach and one of Jerry on the way down the skree field. Good views but no action.

the shots I got are here
http://community.webshots.com/album/170789532KvGbcB

Sorry I missed it - next year I will line up child care if I have to. The video is great! I like the progression from cautious to all-out. Haven't had a chance to look through the photos yet, but with all of the good photographers I'm sure there are some great shots. Congratulations to all on what was obviously a perfect way to get in some fun August turns!

Wow thanks for the great photos and video. I too am sorry I missed it!

Jerry's shot #64 is a winner . . . is that Kelly Slater?

Na but sometimes I like to pretend that I am. ;D  Thanx for the comparison though.

Yeah, '04 Shuksans with Dynafits? Half a year of skiing and sags already working on the quiver! I like your style, Stefan!

:D :D :D :D :DYeah, Username, where were ya?  You don't have a job,  What's your excuse for missing out on a kick ass party?  I wouldn't have a job if I were studying back in NC, but then I would've missed out on all the fun on Sunday!!! ;D 8) :D :D :D :D :D :D  TAY parties Kick butt!!!

Looks like fun everyone!

I gotta get up there twice next year...once in June and once in August for this.

Ps. Nice wipe out jimjar...could it be those hardboots were tooo sensitive for this application? ;)

Pss. First username gets skis...now sag... ???

Actually, I believe that Sag had skis before Username....and I know for sure that Username's 163 Crossbows are very, very sexy.  ;D

Finally got my shots up.
They're at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/2ndannslushcup8104.msnw
There's some interesting baths in there  ;) most of which you've already seen, but these are from different angles.
Now I'll work on some descriptive captions for them.

I don't know what you're talking about.  I don't have skis.  Skiing blows.  Why would anybody want to ski?  I've been secretly cross-training on a wakeboard so that my slush-cup debut will break the worldwide slush-cupping arena wide open.  Now if I could only get my shotgunning technique down, I could sweep the entire meet...

Allright >:(  Username, your on for next year.  One on one for the Slush Cup.  I'll even learn to snowboard just for it. ;D  

Woo Hoo  :D
We got us a Grudge Match!!
Anyone else want in on this?
Maybe you guys should consider putting up an entry fee so you will have a purse to win.  Then Jerry and MadDog could break out the score cards again  ;D

Thanks for the great photos Ron!  Nice commentary ;)

Yes, great captions and photos, Ron!

Jerry, Skip, Ron, and Jeanette generously agreed to let me use some of their photos for a home page gallery (this coming Monday, 8/9), and after working with the photos I almost feel like I was there. The photographers captured a lot of truly unique images, like nothing I have ever seen before related to skiing. Having not actually been there, I lifted some caption ideas from posts in this thread and the photo galleries already posted by the photographers - hope nobody minds! Thanks again for letting me use the photos.

The photographers captured a lot of truly unique images, like nothing I have ever seen before related to skiing.

Good thing there were lots of us taking pictures.  I had all intentions of sitting on the side lines with Ron and snapping shots all day, but when we saw how much fun everyone was having we had to also join in.  It was amazing how easy it was once you hit the water, to keep going as long as you had the speed and didn't miss judge the landing.  ;D Might even get a little braver next year and follow Jerry into the abyss.  8)

Reply to this TR

august-1-2004-pinnacle-slush-cup
JW
2004-08-01 16:05:04