Home > Trip Reports > Oct 31, 2010, MRNP: Anvil Rock bluebird day

Oct 31, 2010, MRNP: Anvil Rock bluebird day

10/31/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PS44 on 11/2/10 4:59am
Taking advantage of Sunday window of good weather I and Jim Warlick headed up the Skyline trail from Paradise lot.  Cloud ceiling dissipated at around 8000 feet and we were left with a bluebird day up on the mountain.  Due to time constraints we decided to abort a shot for Camp Muir and skinned halfway up the Anvil Rock, and then skied down straddling the Muir snowfield and Paradise glacier.  Coverage up high great except on rocky spines. 

In addition to the climax slide discussed in another thread we saw two slab slides higher up the mountain - definitely some places were wind-loaded and active.  Jim dug a pit at around 8500; a not-so weak layer about 5 inches down but a clear weak layer on a 1/2 inch crust about a foot down. 

Saw another 2 parties heading to Camp Muir and a lot of activity down below - this is a fabulous early-season playground.

Pavel

Anvil Rock and lenticular cloud

Mt. Adams

Jim at A. Rock
My theory on the weak layer: Melt Layer Recrystallization

I think here we have older, wet, and warm snow covered with the newer, colder snow on top, creating some significant temperature gradient, and causing facets to form at the interface between old snow and new snow.

Thanks for the report and other signs of avy activity.

Cchapin,
Quite possible.  There was some warming after the snowstorm.  I wonder what the current warm weather and sun will do - it could produce some crusts and later on weak layers in the current snowpack.
P

Reply to this TR

oct-31-2010-mrnp-anvil-rock-bluebird-day
PS44
2010-11-02 11:59:55