Home > Trip Reports > Oct 31 Skyline Thriller

Oct 31 Skyline Thriller

10/15/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by chmnyboy on 11/1/10 10:45am
After meeting in the parking lot of one of Bellingham's many grocery stores, Brian, Sam and I made it to the Skyline Ridge trailhead by 8:30. After reaching the ridgetop we opted past the first bowl and skinned south to where we lapped all sorts of stuff on all aspects. Maybe the other two can elaborate on where we were, as I just blindly followed, enjoying the first pow turns of the year too much to pay attention. Amidst the overwhelming memory of sweet powder I vaguely remember hitting a few rocks, Sam breaking a pole, and both Sam and Brian farting a lot, but aside from that it was just sweet sweet fluff until we returned to the car shortly before dusk. Good sign of things to come.
author=chmnyboy link=topic=17792.msg75176#msg75176 date=1288662317]
I vaguely remember hitting a few rocks, Sam breaking a pole, and both Sam and Brian farting a lot, but aside from that it was just sweet sweet fluff until we returned to the car shortly before dusk.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.  I will blame the Haggen sandwich; I assume Sam will blame Panda Express.

Great to get some more October pow turns...Skyline definitely delivered the goods the last few days.

Thanks for the offer to join you guys Tyler, looks like we missed out on some fine skiing.

Although we didn't find the deep pow you guys experienced, we certainly enjoyed our day in the Olympics.  :)

And, to the best of my memory, we didn't have to deal with any of the greenhouse gas emissions you describe.  ;)

Our sympathies ....................................

Your ski buddy's

The farting thing is probably a semi voluntary attempt to avoid being the trail breaker. If anyone in MY party has had one of those Tasty Bite meals in a pouch in the last 48 hrs, I'd insist they be caboose or otherwise downwind ... Yegawds.

It's funny too because the skiingthebackcountry.com folks just sent around an admail for their forums that said something about "no more fart stories..."

Good job finding the goods. Haven't yet made it there myself but based on summer scouting sure seems like Skyline is one of the better choices for grassy slopes that can work with low cover, plus north facing, and a road that goes decent high.

The more moderate slopes at Skyline can be skied in 8 inches of moderately consolidated snow.  I've done it while the blueberries were still thick and left nice purple tracks all the way down.  The steeper slopes have some rocks and need slightly better coverage.  But timing is all; the approach gets long and unexciting once the snow starts sticking to the road.  Except for Toby, of course. 

Glad to see someone's out there taking advantage of the perfect window.  Thanks for the reports.

Mark

think any of this snow would have stayed around til now?  debating going up for tomorrow, but I can't tell if the freezing level is just too high for here..

Reply to this TR

oct-31-skyline-thriller
chmnyboy
2010-11-01 17:45:17