Home > Trip Reports > October 30, 2010, Paradise

October 30, 2010, Paradise

10/30/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Merk on 10/31/10 9:36am
Snowdawg, Snowdawg Jr, and myself headed up to Paradise to grab our October turns.  We obviously missed the window of awesome snow earlier in the week, however we were pleased to see great coverage at Paradise.  We started with intermittent mixed rain and snow, and as we ascended, the fog layer descended and the precip turned to all rain.  We entered the fog just below Pan Face and decided to head back down and make laps where we could at least see where we were going.  So we made our turns on the wet and crusty snow, and some fun was definately had.  We saw several other skiers out n about.

For Snowdawg and myself, this month completes our 5th year of TAY!  Sure feels good to complete that goal, maybe I'll keep this skiing every month madness going, we shall see...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
I was up there also, with a buddy on saturday. We stopped short of pan point where the white out began. Whatever fresh snow that had fallen was now consolidated. The consolidated snow was softened enough to catch your edge, but not soft enough to feather easily with your ski. I augered in more than a few times using the various excuses of: whiteout vertigo, first day using my new boots, too much time spent on the couch this summer, and simple old age.

A fresh hit of snow is needed to improve the downward leg of that tour.

Reply to this TR

october-30-2010-paradise
Merk
2010-10-31 16:36:03