Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2004, Barrier Peak, MRNP

July 24, 2004, Barrier Peak, MRNP

7/24/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregLange on 7/25/04 6:03am
Where else would a couple of crazy skiers want to be on the hottest day of the summer but on the snow?! I'd been eyeing the little snowfield on Barrier Peak's north side for a couple of weeks; thanks to all of you who kept me updated with good info.

Skidawg and I made our way up the Owyhigh Lakes trail at 6:15 AM, and were in sight of our objective by 7:30. It's a 3.5 mile hike that gains 1500 feet, but the trail makes the going easy. Just past the lakes, we cut east, up another 500 feet thru an easy bushwhack. (Next time, we'll follow the creek up; it's even easier.) At 5400 ft., we found ourselves at the base of the last vestige of the snowfield for this season. There were 2 obvious ski runs, each about 350 to 400 vert. Yeah, summer skiing sometimes doesn't land us a whoppin' big ski line, but the potential in these little gems is really large! We climbed up above the snowfield, to about 6200 feet, and looked off the south side of the Barrier Peak ridgeline at the incredible surroundings. We took a longing look at Tamanos Mtn. and Governor's Ridge, and decided that next year, at season's gate opening, there's an entire day's worth of 1000 to 1500 ft. shots just waiting to be had! And, my guess is, this little cirque doesn't see much action. Anyway, downclimbed to the first snow finger, and skied the first 350 vert, then climbed up the other side, and got another 300. Since my ski days start and end early (so the wife doesn't mind me going on the NEXT adventure!), we started out of the basin about 10:30, and hit the trailhead at 12:15 PM. Like I said, the talk of next spring's pursuits was pretty rampant on the ride home. A strong coffee at Wapiti Woolens (3:10 AM if pretty damn early, even getting ready for fun), we got back to town in time to enjoy the 96-degree day mother nature had for the rest of those not fortunate enough to find snow.

PS: Matrixski - If you did, indeed, summit Glacier, you were wise to go home and sleep. The vert would have been pretty anitclimatic. Fun, but too short of shots, considering what you'd just finished. Next time!

Reply to this TR

july-24-2004-barrier-peak-mrnp
GregLange
2004-07-25 13:03:09