Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2010, Stevens Pass; Demise of a Streak

October 26, 2010, Stevens Pass; Demise of a Streak

10/26/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by markharf on 10/28/10 2:21pm
It is with a heavy heart that I report the untimely end to a noble streak€”the longest and most glorious of my decade as a backcountry skier.  Yes, it€™s true: I broke down and went skiing the other day, ending a solid 15 months during which I refrained from making a single turn on skis.

I€™ll keep this report brief, there being surprisingly little to say.  I drove up to Stevens Pass Tuesday following an early meeting, carrying four (4) sets of freshly-waxed skis and one (1) pair of freshly-deodorized T-2€™s.  It€™s been so long since last I skied that I found I€™d forgotten a few salient points. Most impressive: telemark skiing is very hard work!  I€™m a bit out of shape, and I€™ve never heard such huffing and puffing and grunting and groaning€¦.and that was just from bending over to clip into my bindings! 

I took a single 1200 v.f. run within the ski area.  The snow was soggy and dense, and trailbreaking was arduous both uphill and down.  I suffered some interesting pre-releases in the muck, which resulted in some splendid falls.  Finally, bowing to the inevitable, I dialed my DIN up to the maximum, following which I managed a scant few turns.  Fortunately, there was almost no one around to see me.

Returning to the ski area base I was able to gather a few shreds of remnant dignity and trudge back to the car.  There, I opened my lunch but found a sleeve of what were once perfectly-formed Fig Newtons which had gotten so thoroughly pummeled by my repeated falls that they had melded into an undifferentiated, gluey mass of a consistency rather similar to that of the snow itself.  I found this disheartening€”so disheartening that I had no choice but to lay waste to the stash of Reese€™s Peanut Butter Cups I had just purchased for Halloween distribution.  All the best laid plans€¦..

Snow was 6-8 inches deep at 4100 feet, 16-18 inches at 5300 feet, warming and compacting noticeably during my brief excursion.  Snow snakes and related forms of vermin were plentiful.  It€™s good to be back. 
Welcome back Mark.  Your insightful TR's have been missed.  Please be careful in the early season so you may continue to provide the truly accurate representation of a journey into the wilds of snow country.

One of your many fans.   ;)

Zap

Awesome, mate.

FWIW

Glad to hear someone laid down some turns at Stevens.  I was wondering how the skiing was up there...but decided I'd save my bases until a little more snow falls.

So, if you don't mind my asking: why the 15 month streak of no skiing? Inquiring minds want to know. ( But don't have to know. )

author=CookieMonster link=topic=17755.msg75010#msg75010 date=1288377271]
why the 15 month streak of no skiing?

c.f., http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593711&highlight=guiana

holy cow Mark!  thats a heck of an adventure! 

welcome back to the snow :)

So did you eat the Fig Newtons? I know I would.

I broke off a healthy chunk of the agglomerated Fig Newtons, then saved the rest of the wad for next time out.  FWIW, they tasted just about the same as ever.

Thanks for the welcome(s).

Mark

Reply to this TR

october-26-2010-stevens-pass-demise-of-a-streak
markharf
2010-10-28 21:21:39