Home > Trip Reports > October 27, 2010, Skyline Divide, Sun and POW!

October 27, 2010, Skyline Divide, Sun and POW!

10/27/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by samthaman on 10/28/10 7:49am
EDIT: Link to Allen's video here

Allen Brian and I headed up to skyline divide, off the Baker highway to see what this recent storm had left us. We pretty much had to go after seeing how hard it was snowing on monday.

It was a really fun day for both skiing and photography.

The short story was that south facing slopes were to gloppy to ski past mid morning, everything that stayed in the shade was great until late afternoon.

thanks for looking. More photos/text here for those interested.

To the "inquiring minds" who "want to know" (from my thread the other day): www.famousinternetskiers.com is a website started by my friend Greg and I. We were (are) active on several ski forums in NE, and were getting very tired of uploading photos all over the place when writing TR's for different forums. It started out as simply a place for us to host content we wanted to share with friends and those who already knew about us (hence the inside-joke-of-a-name)... but we got carried away. We've added a weather section, and now have TR's from all over the country (by way of the NE diaspora). We aren't really sure where it's going, but as long as people seem to get a kick out of reading our TR's, we'll probably keep doing it.
Definitely one of the finer October days I've had in the mountains. 

Great pictures per norm Sam.  Almost makes it worth waiting for you guys to setup your shots ;)

Red Lotus 138's.....and powder. Beautiful pics.
I need to learn how to take photps like that.

author=skier8484 link=topic=17751.msg74948#msg74948 date=1288308016]
Definitely one of the finer October days I've had in the mountains. 

Great pictures per norm Sam.  Almost makes it worth waiting for you guys to setup your shots ;)

hey, i'm way faster than allen who is "faster than blah blah blah blah...."

speaking of which, a video is on the way, but the slow internet out here is putting the kibosh on it as usual.

sooo, you could drive to the trailhead????

you could, you also could hike a mile or so before you hit skin-able snow though.

Well played, gentlemen.

A fools hope for sure but might as well head up there tomorrow and see if the warming has left beind any surivors...

Sweet pictures, especially the last one! How deep was the snow up there, hit any rocks? Can't wait for the weekend.

video link (also added up top)

http://www.vimeo.com/16296262

Great pictures.

Chuck and I saw your tracks from Cougar Divide (one ridge to the east) where conditions were similar, including driving to the trailhead (4800ft). We chose Cougar Divide this day because the gate closes at Nooksack Falls on November 1. However, our day ended up mostly a tour - bushwhacking and skinning up the divide to its junction with Chowder Ridge, only making 3 short laps in the meadows. It was a beautiful day with Hadley Peak and Baker’s North Ridge route looking fine.

Hey Sam, I ditto the really great pics comments ~ the video was fun, too - too bad we can't upload them directly here...

About your famousskiier website, I think I like it better when I thought that maybe you had, like, a secret handshake and a cadre of tele-babes...    ;D

Reply to this TR

october-27-2010-skyline-divide-sun-and-pow
samthaman
2010-10-28 14:49:36