Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2004, MRNP-Tatoosh

July 24, 2004, MRNP-Tatoosh

7/24/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 7/24/04 10:23am
While on the Paradise Glacier last weekend I scoped a finger of snow that was still left in an undisclosed location in the Tatoosh.  Ron, Jerry, Evan, and myself had visited this location back in May.  We arrived at the trailhead to a full lot.  A hiker coming down after spending the night wondered where we would find continious snow.  I was even skeptical after the weeks heat.  So Renee and myself gathered our gear and were off hiking by 9:30.  The foilage provided some relief from the sun but not the bugs.  Even after I lathered the bug be gone I still had 100 bugs, so it seemed, assigned to every limb of my body.  This made the hike up real quick.  Shortly after we arrived at the boulder fields and the rock hopping commenced.  As we ascended Renee and I were dreading the climb up the waterfall (aka climbers chute named by Ron and crew).  Was just as steep as when it had snow on it.  Some parts were actually tricky and a few times forced me to down climb to find better route.  About half way up we encountered snow down the middle with raging waters beneath.  We both scurried up a tight, no turning room, path between the snow and rock wall.  Once on top of the falls we were rewarded with connectable patches of snow.  At first it looked grim but when we rounded the corner it was semi continious (one short carry) from the saddle.  Our goal was the saddle since it had a 35 to 40 degree pitch that was a couple hundred feet or so followed by some mellower terrain.  Ah the things I do for turns and a little seclusion.

Snow conditions were actually harder than I thought it would be.  Even with protection from the surrounding terrain I thought for sure that nothing would escape the intense heat.  I was wrong.  I was expecting mush since it was already half past noon and 85 degrees.  There were suncups about a foot in diameter and inch or two deep.  However the sun and heat had already softened the first inch or two so it wasn't that bad.

Once the pitch started to steepen I put on my crampons which made the climb alot more comfortable.  Once atop the saddle we took a short snack break and took in the views.  Adams to the south and Rainier to the north.  The breeze was refreshing and well enjoyed even though temp was 83 degrees at ~6409ft.  Looking back at Rainier I could not believe how much has snow has metled in a weeks worth of time.  Alot more of the Paradise Glacier has been exposed and the Nisqually chute has been cut in half.  Anyways it was time for our reward.  We both carved our way down the steeps which funneled thru a narrow bottle neck before it opened up a little.  Despite one short carry we were back at the top of the falls in no time.  Now the fun begins.  After we changed and loaded our gear we started our down climb of the falls.  It was very very slow.  At least there were no bugs around and the splashing water from the falls were refreshing.  Once back at the trail we didn't waste anytime getting back to the car.  Everytime we stopped the bug assignment began so I hiked/speed walk fast enough that the damn things couldn't land on me.

All in all I ascended ~3631ft and might have squeezed over a 1000ft of riding (I had time to take a warm up lap).  The trip was still worth every drop of sweat, insect bites, and rock scratch even though my friend may disagree. ;D
Bugs >:(  I hate them insect bites,  I'll take road rash anytime of a serious amount of insect bites.  Other than the bugs, sounds like a fun day.

Don't forget the bug repellent!!!!!!! :D

Reply to this TR

july-24-2004-mrnp-tatoosh
snoslut
2004-07-24 17:23:57