Home > Trip Reports > October 27, 2010, Mt Hood Southside - T_Line

October 27, 2010, Mt Hood Southside - T_Line

10/27/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 10/27/10 7:52am
My first winter day.  Skinned wind-crust & cat track to just above Palmer top shack.  Variable powder and crust, with most areas six to ten inches of wind-blown over crust / base.  Lots of folks out, including a couple groups of boarders with their boards high on their backs, post-holing all the way up in high wind..brutal...

Skiers right still pretty rocky at top, so took a few GS turns on the snow-field, then crossed to skier's right at mid-way and skied right side to top of Norman, then traversed over to lodge. 

Mountain Operations was out clearing towers on Palmer and the Mile; they're track packing the lower runs.

24 Months - 2 - Years TAY.

Cheers.

Congrats on 24 months Hawth! Nice to get some decent October turns in!

I was up there too and did pretty much the same route, but kept skiing from Norman down the Alpine Trail to Govy Camp.  There was still a good 2-3 feet down through there, but a lot of brushy stuff sticking up through it.   Hopefully it will last and make a good base.

Thanks to the Alabama couple in the jeep who picked me and the dog up hitchiking on TLine road so we could make the long descent!

Nice, I thought about the Glade, but decided not to risk a hitch up T-line road late in the afternoon.

I think I saw you and your dog in front of the lodge by the pool wall.  I had just finished, you looked to be just headed up, skis and boots on you back?

That must have been someone else - I skinned up from the parking lot to the cat track.

Just saw a photo in the Oregonian of some people skiing w/ their dog at Timberline yesterday and was glad it wasn't me (the occasional strategic sick day sure comes in handy as long as your cover isn't blown   :) )

Reply to this TR

october-27-2010-mt-hood-southside-t-line
Hawthorne
2010-10-27 14:52:50