Home > Trip Reports > October 25, Mt. Baker ski area, POW!!!

October 25, Mt. Baker ski area, POW!!!

10/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by samthaman on 10/25/10 10:28am
Well, I'm pretty excited about all this snow. I'm not used to seeing snow totals like these out of a single storm... well, ever.. much less from the first storm of the year. Allen and I headed up to Mt. Baker to see how it was stacking up.

There are more photos here
Are those your 138's?
Looks epic, well played.

Wow...that's even more snow than I figured was falling. Sweet!!!

Sam, the ski area's not open and the telemetry site is not working (imagine my surprise).  Can you give one or two estimated snowdepths with their location or elevation and time of day?  I'm thinking about Wednesday.  Thanks much.

Mark

author=samthaman link=topic=17717.msg74763#msg74763 date=1288056501]
Well, I'm pretty excited about all this snow. I'm not used to seeing snow totals like these out of a single storm... well, ever.. much less from the first storm of the year.

Welcome to the Cascades Sam. Especially Baker where the numbers in a storm can get mind blowing deep!

Nice Sam.  Hopefully we can make some higher elevation turns on Wednesday...

Now that's what I'm talking about....SNOW!  Thanks for sharing the stoke.

author=Scotsman link=topic=17717.msg74770#msg74770 date=1288062057]
Are those your 138's?
Looks epic, well played.

those were my friend allen's praxis powders, i was on the vintage explosives. I didn't expect it would be as deep, so i brought out the rock skis.

Glad everyone enjoyed the photos.

As for depths, there was at least 6 inches everywhere, and over 3 feet in places. We hit bottom every now and then, but it wasn't too bad, no damage.... we also left at 2 PM and it was raining hard in the valley all evening, so I'd expect that they picked up a lot more over night.

Awesome, Sam.  Get used to big skiable dumps around these parts.  Say what you will about Rocky Mountain blower, cascade powder is denser and can be skied well even when shallow (especially uphill).  Of course, snow snakes can be an early season/frontcountry hazard wherever you are.

So why don't you tell us a bit about being a Famousinternetskiier (.com).  How does that work?  a lot of guys around here are famous for one thing or another.  Is it a club?  Does hucking Alpy's International cliff get you in?  tree landings?  Do you have to be good looking?  To where do I send my 800x600?

Inquiring minds want to know..

author=samthaman link=topic=17717.msg74791#msg74791 date=1288110407]
those were my friend allen's praxis powders, i was on the vintage explosives. I didn't expect it would be as deep, so i brought out the rock skis.

Glad everyone enjoyed the photos.

As for depths, there was at least 6 inches everywhere, and over 3 feet in places. We hit bottom every now and then, but it wasn't too bad, no damage.... we also left at 2 PM and it was raining hard in the valley all evening, so I'd expect that they picked up a lot more over night.

What's on your buddy Allen's pack? Looks like a collapsible sniper rifle? Is he a ninja?

Damn! looking good up there.

Looks like a tripod on his back.

Nice Video and well timed to the music!  I was sad as "we" headed down into the rain...  ;D

Reply to this TR

october-25-mt-baker-ski-area-pow
samthaman
2010-10-25 17:28:21