Home > Trip Reports > October 25 Chinook Powder

October 25 Chinook Powder

10/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 10/25/10 8:14am
Bad attack of powderitis this morning so I headed to Chinook for a cure with Josh AKA Dromond, a recent EC refugee.
We where not disappointed.
6 runs, all powder!
I feel better now.
Nice call Scotty.

well that looks okay for october :)    how deep was it?

i'll keep my fingers crossed the pass stays open till the weekend...

author=Pete A link=topic=17715.msg74760#msg74760 date=1288051337]
well that looks okay for october :)    how deep was it?

i'll keep my fingers crossed the pass stays open till the weekend...

18" generally, 24" in others, even 30" in some places. No rocks or logs were hit but you didn't want to open it up too much.
You have to know where the grassy slopes are and where the unicorns graze. ;)
Lot of wind transportation occurring.

Letty and I were just admiring your fluffy adventure today.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained - great call.

I seriously considered a sick day today for precisely this purpose.

Scotsman, check your camera manual for "exposure compensation." It should be set to between +2/3 and +1 1/3 stops for snow. That's why your photos came out so dark.

author=dromond link=topic=17715.msg74790#msg74790 date=1288110327]
Scotsman, check your camera manual for "exposure compensation." It should be set to between +2/3 and +1 1/3 stops for snow. That's why your photos came out so dark.

^^^^^^^ I have no idea what you are talking about. ??? You should think yourself lucky I actually brought a camera as that is very unusual for me. ;D
Read my " camera manual"?????No way, only nerds read their camera manual!

Nice work. I am hoping to get up there tomorrow but I see that WSDOT is planning to close the pass today at noon with no opening date listed.

Any signs of WSDOT doing avy work while you were up there? How was the road?

author=KrimmelMoore link=topic=17715.msg74795#msg74795 date=1288113520]
Nice work. I am hoping to get up there tomorrow but I see that WSDOT is planning to close the pass today at noon with no opening date listed.

Any signs of WSDOT doing avy work while you were up there? How was the road?

Road was fine and was bare in places by the time we left. Snow plows working continuously while we were there.
It is the loading of the avy start zones that causes Chinook to close and from what I saw yesterday, that had started.
They won't do avy work from what I understand until next spring.
Hope it opens again... but depends on avy conditions on high start zones above road.

author=dromond link=topic=17715.msg74790#msg74790 date=1288110327]

I usually do just the opposite on days like that or you won't be able to make out the ski tracks.

author=KrimmelMoore link=topic=17715.msg74795#msg74795 date=1288113520]

Noooo!!!! Paradise and Baker are too far of a drive :'(

author=andyrew link=topic=17715.msg74801#msg74801 date=1288118958]

Noooo!!!! Paradise and Baker are too far of a drive :'(

Just be aware that after the first significant snowfall of the year the NPS usually struggle to get the road open fast and a lot of people are investing in going to Paradise/Muir tomorrow.  I long wait at Longmire gate could ensue but given the fact that my loathing for Ubegrugagaga is well known, he will probably have the road sanded and like a super powder highway tomorrow thus proving me wrong. I hope so.

Chinook is now closed. Stefan and I happened to be the last ones off the hill today. Helped 7 cars (including a park ranger) get unstuck on the way out. Even got to watch as a snow plow slid sideways into the ditch. :)

author=jimjar link=topic=17715.msg74807#msg74807 date=1288129674]
Chinook is now closed. Stefan and I happened to be the last ones off the hill today. Helped 7 cars (including a park ranger) get unstuck on the way out. Even got to watch as a snow plow slid sideways into the ditch. :)

Congratulations!  Joedabaker and I closed it down last year.Did they say if they were planning on reopening again or is that it for the year?

We got yelled at before getting out of the parking lot but still were able to sneak in a few runs. Paid to be there early today with the noon closing.

My guess is it will be closed for the year. There is no shortage of snow up there. Stepped off the board into waist deep.

FWIW, the NPS Hotline mentioned that the Cayuse/Chinook road closing was “temporary”.

author=Scotsman link=topic=17715.msg74803#msg74803 date=1288120091]
... a lot of people are investing in going to Paradise/Muir tomorrow.  I long wait at Longmire gate could ensue...

let's hope so, after all the biggest allure of BC skiing is crowded slopes and traffic, right? :P

Word is that it's already closed for the season  :(
Good news is that Crystal usually opens soon about the time Chinook closes.
Maybe the ganga-la may have some delays? Hope it does not delay the opening of the mountain either.

It is the loading of the avy start zones that causes Chinook to close and from what I saw yesterday, that had started.
They won't do avy work from what I understand until next spring.

You got it right Scotsman.  The rising avalanche danger, and road conditions (see Jimjar) are the driving forces in this decision. "Temporary" at this time as we will monitor conditions, but unless conditions really improve (or deteriorate depending on how you view these things) it may remain closed.

Early bird gets the worm, and it looks like a few TAY'ers managed to get after it.  I salute you!

Cheers,

Stimbuck

author=JoshK link=topic=17715.msg74819#msg74819 date=1288136035]
let's hope so, after all the biggest allure of BC skiing is crowded slopes and traffic, right? :P

I think the real allures are the tall stacks of mountain blueberry pancakes at Longmire, and a bottomless cup of coffee.  Have fun everyone!

Gotta dig those orange gloves Scotsman!

author=Joedabaker link=topic=17715.msg74844#msg74844 date=1288150549]
Gotta dig those orange gloves Scotsman!

Anniversary present from my wife!( married 22 years.... lucky lady ;))
She doesn't want me to get lost.

Reply to this TR

october-25-chinook-powder
Scotsman
2010-10-25 15:14:27