Home > Trip Reports > October 24, 2010, Mt. Rainier, pan rock powder

October 24, 2010, Mt. Rainier, pan rock powder

10/24/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jmiller on 10/24/10 2:02pm
Skinned up from paradise parking lot to couple hundred feet short of Pan Point.  Thigh deep powder drifts in spots.  6-10 in coating on everything.  Had to turn around due to extreme winds.  We were able to ski down entire way to parking lot, and got some nice powder patches mixed with rocks, making for nice little jumps.  My buddy got a core shot on his base, but my skies were just a little scratched.  Storm looks to be epic for those going on Wednesday, and it'll be a good base to start the season.  Skis season approaches!
Glad you were able to get out and check what many of us suspected. Welcome to TAY Jmiller it's good to have you.

We went up to see for ourselves as well, and yup! Big snow and even bigger wind.  The 3 of us skinned up to near Pan Point before turning back.  The skins never came off.  But it was great to see old man winter once again and tool around in the snow.  Gonna have to claim my October turns next weekend...

Thanks for the welcome, yesterday was actually my first turns-all-year experience.  I've now been skiing since Nov. 2009 with a tally of 79 days so far in my first year.  Bring on year # 2.  I think we may have passed you on our way up Merk, by the time we were skiing down, there was just enough snow to get a couple of turns, and the paved section was almost like a groomed run (with concrete just below the surface).  I'm gettin stoked!!

Reply to this TR

october-24-2010-mt-rainier-pan-rock-powder
jmiller
2010-10-24 21:02:34