Home > Trip Reports > July 18, 2004, Paradise

July 18, 2004, Paradise

7/18/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 7/19/04 7:07am
After our great climb last weekend on Adams, Robie decided he'd better join us to get in on all the goods we were soaking up.  Unfortunately, his timing was a week off.  After spotting cars all over the south side of the mountain for all possible exit options, all of which were equipped with apre' ski libation, we set out from Paradise for turns galore.  
But there's risks to climbing with old people; before long many of us had forgotten why we were there, where we were going, and when we had agreed to turn around.  The subject of the liquid refreshment at the car came up more and more... how long the Adams climb was and how few days had passed since that grueling trip -- "overtraining" and "heat exhaustion" became topics of serious import... all of which compounded to hopelessly crushed Robie's dreams of massive vertical to write home to Kentucky about.  
Here's a shot of Robie contemplating where else he could have been skiing had he made different choices that day:

It was surely nice climbing with him tho, and cranking a (pitifully) few turns and a brewski with him.
More pics at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/pictures
Sounds like fun Ron, especially the carb-replenishing beverages at the end. Though why do all the photos say 6.6.1999 on them? ;-)

Now that's a trip report!  I particularly like the reference to hopelessly crushed dreams.  I nominate this one for the Turns All Year Hall of Fame.

That's ok I'll send em the pictures and tell em it was 5000' .Them kentucky relatives will figure I'm lying for half of it so I'm still ahead 500' or so
Ended up Mt biking with Gary VOgt till dark.
Nice sky in the pics. That, the waterfall,and  good friends with beer made my day.

Jeffey - Thanks for reminding me... I guess I need to give that camera another whack; I noticed the last couple of pics on adams were dated that same date.  Maybe I bumped it on the hike out.  Must be the default date of the operating system, eh?

Mark - A nomination like that from anyone else I'd take with a grain of salt.  But from the TR Master?  I'm smitten and blushing at the same time.  My life is now complete.  It can't get any better than this.

Yeah, Robie, skiing that waterfall was a hoot.  How 'bout that JW, tho... He just skied straight down that thing.
How do he do that?

Not the longest tour on record, but still way fun! My pics are at 

But there's risks to climbing with old people; before long many of us had forgotten why we were there, where we were going, and when we had agreed to turn around.  

Party like a "Rock Star!!!"   8)  8)
20 years ago it was a whole lot easier  ;)  

That sure was a nice run underneath the waterfall uh.  I regret not bringing a camera.  That ribbon of snow to get to it was exciting as well.  Nice pics Jerry and Ron.  Those steep sections above Golden Gate were a treat on the way down.

Reply to this TR

july-18-2004-paradise
ron j
2004-07-19 14:07:25