Home > Trip Reports > 10/17/2010, MRNP, Paradise Glacier

10/17/2010, MRNP, Paradise Glacier

10/17/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Gary_H on 10/18/10 2:04pm
The forecast of sunshine and light winds was enough to entice Chmnyboy and me to make the drive from Port Angeles to Rainier. Neither of us had skied the Paradise Glacier, so that was the goal for the day. We climbed the Muir Snowfield to about elev 8,000 ft where we traversed scree to the Paradise. Skinned the glacier to 9,000 ft. The firm, but smooth surface promised a good descent.

Since we had some time before snow conditions would soften, we decided to finish the climb to Camp Muir. We arrived sometime after 1:00 PM and enjoyed a leisurely break. Around 2:00 we headed back down. At around elev. 9,000 ft we crossed back over to the Paradise Glacier and enjoyed the great skiing down to the col at elev. 7,700.

It was a beautiful day on the mountain and well worth the trip  :D

Here are a few pictures;

1. Tyler skinning the Paradise Glacier
    2. Tyler Skiing the upper Muir Snowfield
    3. Fall Colors

Gary
Nice work guys; I wish I could have joined up.  Your Paradise turns look a little softer than my Heliotrope turns were on Saturday. 

Excellent Gary!  Looking forward to heading out your way sometime this winter.

it was an awesome day! a pleasure to get some riding in on such a stand out october day.

i was curious what it was looking like on the paradise glacier. thanks for posting the picture. is there anything steeper over there to ride than the muir snowfield?

Ooohhh, very nice! I was enticed to stay closer to home for cycling and climbing but certainly hope to join you next time.

author=cornRIDE link=topic=17667.msg74572#msg74572 date=1287503954]
it was an awesome day! a pleasure to get some riding in on such a stand out october day.

i was curious what it was looking like on the paradise glacier. thanks for posting the picture. is there anything steeper over there to ride than the muir snowfield?

Yes, it was a great day to be outdoors.  :)

We stayed skiers right most of the way down, the slope angle was similar to the Muir Snowfield. The surface conditions were smoother and cleaner though. Hopefully others more familiar with this terrain will weigh in on your question.

author=Teleskichica link=topic=17667.msg74577#msg74577 date=1287520592]
Ooohhh, very nice! I was enticed to stay closer to home for cycling and climbing but certainly hope to join you next time.

Thanks Holly,
Sounds like you had many worthy options for the day, looking forward to skiing with you.

Gary

So sorry that I missed out.  All day I was cognisant of where I was not.

Did you note the locations of the crevasses?  It's gonna start dropping snow here pretty soon so we'll need your keen memory to be safe while poaching powder on the Paradise.

I am getting anxious, this is the longest that I have gone without skiing in several years.
(I think about it enough that it should come back to me quickly)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=17667.msg74595#msg74595 date=1287596219]
So sorry that I missed out.  All day I was cognisant of where I was not.

Did you note the locations of the crevasses?  It's gonna start dropping snow here pretty soon so we'll need your keen memory to be safe while poaching powder on the Paradise.

I am getting anxious, this is the longest that I have gone without skiing in several years.
(I think about it enough that it should come back to me quickly)

We would have enjoyed your company, It was a beautiful day.

Regarding crevasses, their were no open cracks between elev. 9000 ft and 7700 ft where we skied, coverage was good. The attached picture shows the open bershrung below Anvil Rock. There was a relatively narrow bridge across the center of it, but in our opinion, the risk-reward ratio was considerably out of balance. Here is a link to a picture posted by ps44 in cornRIDE's recent TR which shows the lower Paradise Glacier, hopefully this is helpful.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=17660.0

I think skiing is like many other things you go without for some time, it is all that much better when you get back at it!  ;)

Gary

A zoomed version of image showing P. glacier and environs - hope it helps.

10.21.10 PGMRNP photos. Follow the link below. Happy skiing tho it's time for new snow......

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=289606&id=685673209&l=44af58fe7d

It was a fine weekend and your drive must have been heinously long.....

author=telemack link=topic=17667.msg74696#msg74696 date=1287878242]
It was a fine weekend and your drive must have been heinously long.....

I'm guessing your trip to Ruth required an equally serious commitment  ..................... ?  ;)

Gary

Reply to this TR

10-17-2010-mrnp-paradise-glacier
Gary_H
2010-10-18 21:04:52