Home > Trip Reports > October 16, 2010, Ruth Mountain OcTAYberfest

October 16, 2010, Ruth Mountain OcTAYberfest

10/16/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by telemack on 10/16/10 12:12pm
     Not much of a fest but a great day out in the hills.  I spent Friday night at Travertines's in Bellingham, and we hit the trail about 7:30.   Gorgeous hike and views, crystal clear and windless.  We were walking mostly on snow above Hannegan Pass.  There was a dusting to a few inches of fresh on the old snow and glacier ice.  The new was sweet, the old was firm and scratchy, and the glacier stuff was avoided.  Some big crevasses were easy to avoid; smaller ones in the center of the glacier are filling in.  Not the best snow I've ever had, but possibly the best OcTAYber goods! 
     37 months of TAY for me, and James hit an even 3 years.  Hopefully photos up soon.
I thought it was OcTAYberFresh.  Well, just a few windblown pockets of fresh.

I was too lazy to resize and post pix last night, I'll get around to it today.

A great day out and while a longer walk than Heliotrope, definitely worth it for the views on a view day such as we got.

Best place in the world to be ...

Nice, I was out past artist point that day getting my turns in. While probably not as good as Ruth it was a simply a gorgeous day to be out there.

author=lrudholm link=topic=17650.msg74536#msg74536 date=1287353068]
Nice, I was out past artist point that day getting my turns in.

Where did you ski?  We could see Artist's and Table from Ruth and there are still plenty of patches and lines left.

We skied off the Coleman pinnacle a few times, I can't believe we didn't hit up the sholes glaicer / portals area. It looked so good, but my buddies were just not up for it. I do give them credit for hiking all that way with heavy 120 mm underfoot skis.

It was nice to make it out that way since i usually don't go that far in the winter.

I've never made it to the Sholes yet either, but in Sept. we got a lot of laps off Coleman and on the way to/from it.

Nice! Right under the Coleman was the best and finding the pockets where the wind had blown the latest snowfall.  The biggest excitement was watching hikers on top of the pinnacle cause rocks to fall right where i was going to traverse in the next five minutes.

&#$*#$$

Reply to this TR

october-16-2010-ruth-mountain-octayberfest
telemack
2010-10-16 19:12:04