Home > Trip Reports > October 13, 2010, - White River Glacier, Mt Hood

October 13, 2010, - White River Glacier, Mt Hood

10/13/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by stoudema on 10/13/10 11:40am
I took the day off of work to get October turns in, since I've got plans for the remaining weekends in the month.  I drove up this morning from the southern Willamette Valley, and arrived at the climbers lot around 8:00 am.  Not wanting to climb under the ski lifts, I decided to explore out towards the White River Glacier, not having visited the lower part since last August.  Here's a shot of the mountain from the parking lot - I climbed to just above the rock in the middle of the upper snowfield on the White River Glacier (above the upper crevasses in the picture).

The hike up went well as the weather was nice - sunny with a slight breeze.  I brought along my tripod, and snapped this shot of me and the Glacier after hiking for about an hour - the skiing isn't exactly continuous on the lower section ;)

Across the way, a snow cat was pulling about 10 people up the Palmer so they could do "laps" as the lifts weren't running today.  It looked like a few skiers and some alpine carving snowboarders.  I mostly stayed on the ridge, as the rock fall off the ridge onto the lower glacier was hideous.  I ended up climbing to about 9200 feet (didn't use ice axe or crampons but did have them) and decided to call it, since the snow was getting more and more suncupped.  Here's a shot of the glacier from just below my high point....

The ride down was mixed - the snow was barely corned on the upper half of the snowfield, but was pretty good on the lower half down to the Palmer.  There were some intermittent ice patches mixed in as well.  I did use the ice axe on the way down to gain some extra mental support since a fall in the first few turns could have resulted in a slide down towards exposed crevasses.  When I got to the bottom (about 700 feet vertical), I snapped the below shot before walking over to what's left of the Palmer.  I had to prop the board up with the ice axe to get it to stay vertical.

The ride down the Palmer was very enjoyable and the snow was perfect.  The snow ended near 7000 feet, and the canyon below that is completely bare, so I walked the rest of the way out with a couple from Indiana who were out trail hiking and came over to ask me about riding and the mountain, etc.  They couldn't believe people make turns-all-year, and when I told them that this was month 59 for me, they thought that must be some kind of record.  I assured them that many people on this forum have waaayyy more months then that.  I was back to the truck at 12:45 and hit the Mt Hood Brew Pub for a nice cold pint of Cloud Cap Amber in Govy before heading home.

If you are looking to Mt Hood to get October turns in, the upper Palmer and White River should be good for the rest of the month.  The ski area is open on Friday - Sunday, but you can hike anytime....
I am surprised by how little snow is on Hood. Is this a typical snowpack for the mountain this time of year? Are there predictions it will be 100% snow free in coming years?

Also, aren't there still several people missing on Hood (from past winter tragedies)? How many likely spots (crevasses, melted out cliff floors) might be places to look and make a recovery?

Nice!  I'll be heading up to Hood tomorrow.  My wife has a conference in Tennessee and is bringing our 17 month old along for 6 days -- I'll miss them terribly, but I've got a 3 day weekend and a lot of pent-up Daddy energy.  Plan is to ski tomorrow, probably lifts with some trekking thrown in, and then two days of quality riding east of Hood and on St. Helens.  Thanks for the report and say hi to Todd. 

Sweet Buck - have a good time - the weather should be nice!  Head up a bit higher than the Palmer for some nice views if you get tired of spinning on the lift.  We should get together this Spring for some climbing and riding.

Jibber D - the snowpack right now is about typical for the southside of Hood.  Mid-late October is about as thin as it gets.  Don't know about it becoming snow free any time soon, but the Palmer mostly dissappeared under rocks in 2005.  Some searching could be done this time of year, but the rockfall in the likely areas is pretty bad.....

Nice.  That's my usual route as well.  In winter, one can skin around that last scramble climber's right top of Palmer.  I did last week of September, looks pretty much unchanged, except I couldn't see more than 50-feet and knew I close the the glacier edge, so I bailed prior to crater-rock.

We live in Welches, and I'd say this year's October coverage is pretty typical of the last 10-15 years.  Some years have been better, some not.  Last year or year before, T-Line was unable to reopen for the fall season til snow fell in November. 

Cheers.

Nice job!  It takes a lot of commitment to get out and do it in Sept. and Oct. Way to go!

author=JibberD link=topic=17635.msg74444#msg74444 date=1287027870]
I am surprised by how little snow is on Hood. Is this a typical snowpack for the mountain this time of year?

Yes, this is a good year.  The south side of Hood holds the least amount of snow.  See photo below taken two weeks ago for the NE side.

Are there predictions it will be 100% snow free in coming years?

I'm always hearing stuff like that and every year I imagine that the glaciers are shrinking.  I was up on Cathedral Ridge in September and took pics of Sandy Glacier to compare with pics I took 26 years ago.  When I got home I compared them and there was no appreciable difference.

Also, aren't there still several people missing on Hood (from past winter tragedies)? How many likely spots (crevasses, melted out cliff floors) might be places to look and make a recovery?

Yes, but finding them is a Catch22 because when the crevasses really open up to where they might reveal something it also becomes so warm that those regions are continually bombarded by falling rock and ice.  A reasonably sane person would not get anywhere close.  Two weeks ago I took this pic of the NE side (where two climbers are still missing) while on my way to climb up to the snowfield (Snowdome) high and off to the N side (right side in pic) of Elliot Glacier.  I decided to turn back at 10 AM after a 3' boulder flew by me 40' away and I realized that if I continued on it would be much worse when I returned and re-crossed the glacier at 1 PM.

It was lots of work climbing that far with alpine gear on my back across that hideous morraine so I earned my turns, but was denied them!  Once again my streak dies at ten months!

Reply to this TR

october-13-2010-white-river-glacier-mt-hood
stoudema
2010-10-13 18:40:06