Home > Trip Reports > October 6, 2010, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir

October 6, 2010, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir

10/6/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by shaman on 10/6/10 11:21pm
Another beautiful day on the mountain.  Started walking at 10am and reached Muir at 1:40 (personal record).  In hindsight I would have not gone past 9000' due to the enormous sun-cups.  I just kept telling myself as I approached Muir "Ah it will be a good challenge."  And challenging it was... I am sure the people watching from Muir got a great show as I rode 100' and fell....another 100' and fell again. 

From there I managed to make my way through all the potholes down past 9000' where the snow got a bit smoother and softer staying skiers left.  I really wanted to go for a second lap where the snow was good but decided against due to recovering from a cold and the workout I got navigating the mine field up high.  All in all a great day on the mountain and great riding where the snow was good.
author=shaman link=topic=17591.msg74198#msg74198 date=1286461306]
.... I just kept telling myself as I approached Muir "Ah it will be a good challenge." And challenging it was... I am sure the people watching from Muir got a great show as I rode 100' and fell....another 100' and fell again.

I did that exact same performance many years ago, but I'm not sure I made it 100' between falls. Very painful both psychologically and physically, falling on those huge rock hard suncups.

Must be some sort of a "rite of passage" for PNW bc skiers?

Thanks for your post.

yes Ron, and like all 'rites of passage' it should only be done once!  still tragic since a mere 200 feet to the skiers left the author could have dropped in for some smooth corn on Paradise Glacier.  probably almost as good as 'the stash'. 

author=savegondor link=topic=17591.msg74266#msg74266 date=1286582802]
yes Ron, and like all 'rites of passage' it should only be done once! still tragic since a mere 200 feet to the skiers left the author could have dropped in for some smooth corn on Paradise Glacier. probably almost as good as 'the stash'.

So true.  ::)

author=savegondor link=topic=17591.msg74266#msg74266 date=1286582802]
yes Ron, and like all 'rites of passage' it should only be done once!  still tragic since a mere 200 feet to the skiers left the author could have dropped in for some smooth corn on Paradise Glacier.  probably almost as good as 'the stash'. 

To my knowledge you drop onto Paradise glacier from Muir snowfield between 8-9k, .  Where by that time the snow was soft and smooth enough to be enjoyable.  Which is why I did not feel the need to cross over onto Paradise.  I do admit I am still learning my way around Rainier's terrain so if I am wrong please correct me.  :)

No offense meant, shaman.
It's true that the suncups are usually the bigest and most miserable just below muir. its also true that there's usually a decent corridor on to the Paradise Glacier just below Anvil which would likely be around 9200.
So it looks to me like we're all "Kinda Right"  ;)

Were you the snowboarder that told me not to bother heading up all the way?  I expected to see you coming back up for another lap.  What a beautiful day!

Yup that was me.  :D 

I wanted to take another lap but I was still recovering from a cold and was feeling a bit fatigued.  It was a great day out there!

Did the phrases "better than your ass cheek" or "can't see d***" come to mind?  Maybe we should invent a new sub sport called suncup slalom ya crazy mother...Let's get some turns soon!!!!!

Reply to this TR

october-6-2010-mt-rainier-camp-muir
shaman
2010-10-07 06:21:46