Home > Trip Reports > October 2, Camp Muir Dirty snow

October 2, Camp Muir Dirty snow

10/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Alaskier on 10/3/10 4:56pm
My wife is completing her third TAY, and was adamant that we should head up to Muir on Saturday.
We stayed Friday night at the Paradise Inn, which was a first for us, but I must say, although it was expensive, the food was great, and we did get an early start (for us!).

We left the parking lot at around 9AM, and switched to skins just above pebble creek.  The snow was softening rapidly, as it was gorgeous sunny weather.  Saw two or three other groups above, and below us.  Clearly folks are getting antsy for the season to start.

Reached Muir at around 1PM, after a leisurely ascent, and had a nice lunch in the lee of one of the guide huts.  Wind was running around 15-20MPH, so it seemed a little cold.

The upper snowfield was sun cupped, and very dirty, but still very carveable.  We stayed over toward the nisqually, and felt that it was a bit better over there.  About midway down, it smoothed out a bit, and was excellent.  We milked all the turns we could, but reached Pebble creek all too soon.

Congratulations to my wife, for completing her third TAY in a row.  She's a pretty tough lady.  We're both turning 50 this year, and I'm glad we can share this together.
That rocks.
I think it is great when spouses share backcountry skiing.
Much congrads to Mrs. Alaskier :)

It's wonderful to share your backcountry adventures with your wife.  My wife, Jill, is 66 and just had a total hip replacement in May and is getting in shape for the upcoming ski season.  Women are tough !   ;)

author=Zap link=topic=17569.msg74091#msg74091 date=1286212197]
It's wonderful to share your backcountry adventures with your wife.  My wife, Jill, is 66 and just had a total hip replacement in May and is getting in shape for the upcoming ski season.  Women are tough !   ;)

I will second that Zap! My wife, Jan and I are are constant companions in the mountains. I couldn't find a better partner.

Mrs. Alaskier,
Congratulations on 3 consecutive years! :D

Gary and Jan

Does it still count for TAY if you get Pampered in the Paradise Inn?  ;)

Lots of TAY calendars gettin' flipped theses days.

Haiku for Married Skiers
Nobody's marriage
Is a perfect powder run
Make up, then ski down

Congrats folks!  I'm wondering if both of you have the same streak?

author=telemack link=topic=17569.msg74133#msg74133 date=1286254132]
                          Haiku for Married Skiers
Nobody's marriage
Is a perfect powder run
Make up, then ski down

Very nice haiku, Mack.  Of course I would have written the last line differently.  since my mind and Haiku is always in the gutter.
Modified from original - I apologize.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=17569.msg74145#msg74145 date=1286298951]
Congrats folks!  I'm wondering if both of you have the same streak?

Very nice, Mack.  Of course I would have written the last line... "go" instead of "ski".  And I could only write that because my wife doesn't ski with me much, AND she doesn't read these TR-s! And my Haiku is always in the gutter.

Careful Rusty Knees!!I and another poster just got a good telling off from ADMINISTRATOR MARCUS via personal messages for "veiled sexual innuendo".
TAY is a "wholesome " place with " family values".. like Sarah Palin's.
Edit to add: I hasten to add, I think your modification funny. ;D

It must have been pretty veiled, since I didn't see it.  Better send it to me in a PM - and remember this site is useless without pictures.

Are we really going to get into this here?  There's a reason we had that whole conversation via PM.  Bringing it up here and calling me Pope Marcus again sort of seems counterproductive.

Rusty, some of it's still out there, if you really want to dig it up.

author=Marcus link=topic=17569.msg74149#msg74149 date=1286302831]
Are we really going to get into this here?  There's a reason we had that whole conversation via PM.  Bringing it up here and calling me Pope Marcus again sort of seems counterproductive.

Rusty, some of it's still out there, if you really want to dig it up.

You're right Marcus I shouldn't have used POPE..... for that I apologize and I've modified my post. Rest is valid.

I apologize for hi jacking a very good trip report.  Now get out there and ski on!

author=Zap link=topic=17569.msg74091#msg74091 date=1286212197]

I agree, but my wife is much older than your wife!  :-) :-) (at least 1 month older).

Reply to this TR

october-2-camp-muir-dirty-snow
Alaskier
2010-10-03 23:56:29