Home > Trip Reports > July 12, 2004, Mt Adams SW chutes

July 12, 2004, Mt Adams SW chutes

7/12/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by sag on 7/13/04 2:57am
Met up with JW at his place about 11:am on Sunday and started loading up the Chick Magnet http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=162833251&photoID=162840975&security=AJyNNr        
when snowslut shows up. Ron J and MADDOG show up about 11:30 and the mini convoy hits the road. With nice mix of old country, old funk, sunshine and back roads we meander our way on down to the mountain. After making camp we sit down for dinner. With MADDOG grilling up steaks and our camp bieng right at the trailhead we watch the parade of tired climbers and skiers drool as they stroll by. I saw alpentalcorey and co. sat and chatted about conditions for a few then as the parade came to a close we beded down for an early rise.
At the late, late hour of 3am, every one in camp is stirring and I can stop pretending to sleep. By 4am we hit the trail and by 6am were getting our first twilight views of the playground were headed for.Bieng my first time on this side of the Mt I was pleased with the straight foreward aproach, and the that it is mostly on snow. The last time I also brought no sliding device and had to walk down(stupid idea I know). The climb up is pleasant. Great weather,views and no crowds made for a peacefull and relaxing climb.We reached the false summit by 1:pm had lunch and then we were off. I'm still new to skiing so for me the conditions were challenging but super fun and really fast. I would have had an easier time on a snowboard for sure, but that did not take away from the smile still stuck on my face. After many, many turns and pics the snow came to an end and we headed back to the car.The adventure does not stop there. We decided to get high speed dirt road pics of the Chick Magnet and in one power brake slide to the right the front right wheel sparks and smokes and apperantly loses a bearing(see above link, YES those are sparks) but the jarring fixes the broken fuel gauge, so we trade one for the other and thump thump thump all the way back home for 5 hours.
My photos are here
  http://community.webshots.com/album/162833251kIEhJH
Well another fun trip indeed. Despite a little vapor lock and some bearing failure, surprisingly the old Buick made the run! Great times with great friends. Thanks for the surprise at the end Maddog! ;)
I think a UFO tried to pick up Snoslut about halfway down the chute  ???

That's not a UFO. That's one of those white bouncy weather balloon guardian things from "The Prisoner"! Look out! It (or you) must have escaped from The Village?
Looks like you got away though. Maybe if Patrick MacGoohan had a plank and knew how to shred, he coulda gotten out of there quicker.

Good call Wolfs, that thing DOES look like the thing from the prisoner.  It's been a few years since I saw The Prisoner, did he ever escape from that thing?  As I recall, once that thing came out and the crazy music started playing, No. 6 was pretty much hosed.

Great pictures Stefan and Jerry!  It was a fun trip, already looking forward to next year, glad you enjoyed the "surprise".   8)  ;D

Sounds like a lot of FUN!!! Great pictures-of course. Good Work all!!
Nice shot of the Chick Magnet Sag! That thing was burning love!
JDB

That ufo sure did come close. ;D  Nice pics Jerry and Stephan.  Was up there as one of the best trips I have been on thus far.  The Chick Magnet pulled thru in style even though I was sketched at first.

I musta missed the whole ufo thing while I was busy working on my walker.  It's just not made for mountain climbing.
Great report Stefan.  Great trip, gang; the kind great memories are made of.  
I finally got my pics from the trip up at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/pictures
You can see how gnarly the snow surface is getting towards the bottom of the chutes in some of the later shots.

It's crazy what 2 weeks does to smooth snow.  I think some of those bumps on the lower right side are our group's tracks from weeks before that melted out.  Nice pictures Ron.

Reply to this TR

july-12-2004-mt-adams-sw-chutes
sag
2004-07-13 09:57:17