twitter relevance ?

• davidG
  • [davidG]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Sep 2010 09:38 #193972 by davidG
twitter relevance ? was created by davidG
In exploring whether twitter has any utility to my small business, i am caused to wonder where it plays into this community.  I've noticed where some of the NOAA pages are linked, but don't see any reference from NWAC (not that they neccessarily should be).  Lots of other snow and weather sites used by folks here - any of it aimed to the social media/quick text/mobile phone market?  The NorthFace twitter program spawned a smart phone app (i guess oriented to resort types). 

Not very up on this stuff, so I (and maybe others?) could use a primer from those in the know..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
29 Sep 2010 11:37 #193974 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: twitter relevance ?
Dave -

We have a user-supported live twitter feed for weather on my website HERE . The idea is that people follow FISWX, and then when someone posts or text's a weather observation to us, it gets pushed out to everyone following. We've just launched it this summer, so we haven't really gotten a chance to see how it works in the winter just yet, but I have high hopes for it. Ours is different than the NF app in that anyone can post to it, and everyone subscribing to it receives posts (tweets), so it can be used for BC, resort, your florida vacation w/e. Right now our weather site is primarily EC oriented, so it probably wouldn't be of much use here, but in time we'd like to roll out regional departments along the lines of what we have for the EC.

anyway, what's your business?

sam

• davidG
  • [davidG]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Sep 2010 10:04 #193989 by davidG
Replied by davidG on topic Re: twitter relevance ?
Thanks Sam. I manufacture and wholesale products to the forest industry - I've concluded that my audience is not likely using or moving to social media.

I can understand why this topic doesn't get much traction, but I can't help but think that there's some utility to realtime info and mobile access. time will tell.