Home > Trip Reports > Sept 26, 2010, Mt Hood South

Sept 26, 2010, Mt Hood South

9/26/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 9/27/10 1:29am
Run out of weekend days and soccer in the schedule all week, I did Mt Hood south-side on Sunday from the freshly paved Timberline annex lot.  Started at 6:45 intending to climb until ten or Crater Rock, which ever came up first.

Leathers hike up the access road to Timberline Trail, cross a creek to the east, then up the west ridge of the White River Canyon.  This is a good climb on mostly firm gravel and broken rocks, with only one tough scramble roughly abeam top of Palmer lift.  Interesting to look down into White River as the glacier changes through year(s). 

Clear when I started, but clouds came in with bases setting up between 7500-8000 ft.  Few sprinkles and LOTS of wind.  Hiked into the cloud bases and hopped a couple of snow fingers to stay on rocks.  At 9:30 I was looking up an icy snow field, with about 50 ft of visibility, and no axe, so I swapped boots / undershirt, and headed down.

Got about 500 ft of turns on a sold mostly new crust before hitting Palmer top bench.  Skiers right side is a closed out rock garden.  The snow field skied out pretty good - fast wide open GS turns.  Out the clouds at roughly mid-way station.

Snow continues down Mile Canyon to base of Palmer, where there is a 100 ft hand carry back into the canyon.  Then turns down the canyon through whats left of Windell's terrain park to the upper equipment park at about 6500 ft.  Skis back on pack, and walk in ski boots down trail to t-line.

Looks like October should be no problem.  They appear to be getting ready to reopen, but the transitions at base of Palmer will be tough to fill in.   

Roughly 3000 gain for 2500 vertical.  September 2010 - 23 Months
Great to hear. I've also climbed a similar route in early September many years back. Keep that streak alive!

Thanks for the report.  October's coming quickly, and Hood's likely where I'll be heading.....

Reply to this TR

sept-26-2010-mt-hood-south
Hawthorne
2010-09-27 08:29:42