Home > Trip Reports > September 25, 2010, Heliotrope Corn Harvest

September 25, 2010, Heliotrope Corn Harvest

9/25/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by skier8484 on 9/25/10 9:24am
The corn harvest was on in full up at Heliotrope today.  Snow was as good as it gets for September: easy skinning on the way up; fast, smooth corn on the way down. 

It was rather windy all day today, which actually kept the snow in good shape throughout the afternoon.  Lots of people up there getting September turns, with a surprising number of them hoofing it sans touring gear. 

Crevasse/glacial ice exposure was minimal.  As were the suncups!  Literally, there weren't any!  The snow was good enough to warrant 4 laps, at which point the prospect of sitting in an easy chair and watching college football drew me away from the mountain. 

Truly amazing September turns.  Having skied the Coleman Pinnacle area in the last two weeks, I would definitely recommend heading to Heliotrope instead.
Nice Brian,
Sounds like I should have headed north from the Hood Canal Bridge instead of south yesterday morning. Heliotrope is a beautiful area and a fun ski.
I can't complain though, had a fun day climbing and skiing the Muir snowfield. Like you describe, it was windy, there was lots of company and some good skiing. What more can you ask for?

Gary

I was perfectly fine with drinking my way through the weekend until I read this.

Beautiful turns!!!

excellant!!!

Which way did you exit?

author=alecapone link=topic=17481.msg73903#msg73903 date=1285688602]
Which way did you exit?

Went back down the trail this time.  Grouse is more or less melted out; definitely not worth the bushwack anymore. 

Can't get that picture out of my mind.
Almost firn spiegel-ish
Nice, Nice, Nice

Great capture!  Looking to head that'a way soon...

That really is a remarkable picture.         

Reply to this TR

september-25-2010-heliotrope-corn-harvest
skier8484
2010-09-25 16:24:10