Home > Trip Reports > September 22, 2010, Thank you mam (Muir All Month)

September 22, 2010, Thank you mam (Muir All Month)

9/22/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 9/22/10 12:00pm
Weather forecast had us (and several other skiers) headed back to Paradise for more late season corn harvest.  Temps at Paradise were quite cool, and breeze and clouds kept it that way up to about 9000', where we broke out into sun, but still windy and chilly.  The tidy white corn we experienced on the 13th between 7500-8000' had worn very thin displaying dirtyness below.   Above 8000' today we found excellent 1/4-1/2" corn on top of a firm base, and above 9500' too, since the slope had filled in considerably during the past few days of storms.   Because of the temps, clouds, and breeze, today did not exceed our best September day ever on the 13th, but it was still mighty fine.  Armed with a GPS we confidently skied smooth frozen corn from the hill just east of the public shelter at Muir down into the cloud staying skiers far right, and were below it after a thousand feet of skiing.  Again we ended the day carving white turns in the dirty slope that ends below the trail crossing at Pebble Creek.

There is much more snow now above 9500', the gravel path from the snowfield to Camp Muir is covered, and the upper Cowlitz Glacier looked white and smooth.   The high freezing level precipitation forecast for this weekend may change that.
Twas a good day on the Muir. Sorry I missed seeing you Silas.

Hey Silas - we heard you whooping before we saw you.  Great day in the mountains, eh?  Glad you and Kenji had a good day. We saw Amar in the PLot and hiked uphill with him. 

Best September turns EVAR!  8)  ( Except for last year's, maybe or the year before that!)

SkierLyles and Teleskichicka got up to about 9500 before turn around time.  I hit about 8500 + and met some new friends.  Great turns, and we wished we had time for another lap.  That corn was groovy!

Wild man on Muir

Excellent day, almond-milk turns (I've recently made the switch from diary milk.  Give it a chance, and you'll know what I'm describing)  ;)

Sorry to have missed you, Silas.  Keep in touch!

Must concur... really nice. And this guy next to Don was so impressed/jealous, he thought he'd make some turns, too. Poor dude. He seems to be missing his skis...

I hope there is some of that smooth new snow still around when I get back to the country this weekend - I would love some easy turns to try out the new skis. I think the high tourist days of summer have passed so my anti-social self can probably tolerate schMuir again. ;)

If the warm rain holds off, any speculation if it'll remain worthwhile for a few days?

Great pic of the wild man and the guy on his "mental skis"!

Things had locked up pretty well by the time I headed down from anvil rock around 3:30, making for loud and in the clouds turns.  The bottom 1,200' or so was soft enough to carve, and the bottom 800' was below the clouds.  Probably could have found better turns if I wasn't trying to stay so close to rocks or the boot pack.  Oh well.  Goodbye, summer skiing.  Here's to fall and winter.  Cold and nasty till spring suits me just fine.

Great day out! Good to see some old friends and meet a few new ones too. Always somebody from TAY to bump into up on the snowfield. Good to hear you holler Silas, too bad we missed you in the lot.

Here is a pic of Holly dropping a knee in celebration of the great snow conditions:

Reply to this TR

september-22-2010-thank-you-mam-muir-all-month
silaswild
2010-09-22 19:00:18