Home > Trip Reports > July 11, 2004, Flett glacier

July 11, 2004, Flett glacier

7/11/04
Posted by Pete A on 7/11/04 7:37pm
Not much to add to what Charles wrote in his trip report regarding snow conditions...all in all really nice up there, and it sure seems like theres more snow up there now than in years past...being able to ski (with a few short carries) back to the wonderland trail was a blast.
Off and on sun and clouds on Sunday kept the snow from getting too soft even in late afternoon.
One item of note is, if anyone has had a desire to ski the Observation Rock headwall (the steep face above the Cat Eye Lake run) it is in prime shape to ski right now...no exposed ice yet...the top is maybe 40-45 degrees for the first couple turns, but the rest is no more than 40 degrees...much less steep now than when its all melted out to bare ice. We skied it around 3:30pm and it had just a couple inches of corn, no sloughing at all.
The highlight of the day was one of the younger skiers in our group aired the cornice at the top...yard-saled his skis and slid down 1/2 the face...but rather than continuing to ski down after collecting the gear, he booted back up to the top to ski it again, this time in fine form...made me feel old just watching.
It sounds like you had fun. Were you skiing with my old man? Kurt?...

yup, same group...lots of White Pass folk on the trip (Steve and Sam Schoch, Kurt, etc)...and myself, the lone Seattlite.

Great info on the Flett coverage, Bud.
Thanks.

Reply to this TR

july-11-2004-flett-glacier
Pete A
2004-07-12 02:37:35