Home > Trip Reports > Sept 15, 2010, Coleman pinnacle, Turns and goats.

Sept 15, 2010, Coleman pinnacle, Turns and goats.

9/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by samthaman on 9/21/10 5:33am
Here are some shots from last week when I met up with skier8484 and some friends from back east for Sept turns.

there are a few more photos here.

Is the 3 photo rule in TR's here still a rule?
Nice shots!

The photo posting guidelines are looser than they have been in the past -- I haven't made any official changes to site "policy" at this time. 

I'd encourage you to add additional images via the thumbnail "IMG" tags in the posting window (second button to the right of "Add Image Tags".

EDIT...

Hmmm, well, that thumbnail tag still isn't working -- odd.  I'll look into that.

We'll give your other goat picture a free pass then :)

I'm just curious was it a matter of trying to limit how many images were hosted on TAY, or an attempt to keep load times short in the age of dial up? Something else?

Well, I'm only now transitioning to taking the reins of TAY, so I'm not as acquainted with the original choices.  I think it's a combination of a few things:

- load times in the age of slower connections was definitely a factor

- a desire to encourage a little more selection with the photos, rather then just an infodump of every shot you took during a trip

- a desire to encourage folks to use photos to accent or accompany their written trip reports, instead of using photos for TRs alone

There may have been other reasons, including TAY image hosting.

I'm not inclined to go to a "free for all" photo policy, but the restrictions that are described in the Photo Posting Guidelines above the comments box haven't been heavily enforced since I started the process of taking over.  I like what NW Hikers does for their photos and am probably leaning toward something along those lines.  The thumbnails are a critical piece of that, so until that script is functional again we'll probably just be cruising along as we have been since January.

love that shot of y'all so close to the goats....    seems i always see them out in that area but have never managed to get that close......    nice tr

Sick shot with the goats.Great view as well of the Park headwall.
Seems like the goats like this area.

author=bellingham allen link=topic=17468.msg73724#msg73724 date=1285123241]
love that shot of y'all so close to the goats....    seems i always see them out in that area but have never managed to get that close......    nice tr

Thanks, my friend Ben added a few more shots over on my site if you're interested.

author=Marcus link=topic=17468.msg73718#msg73718 date=1285104580]
Well, I'm only now transitioning to taking the reins of TAY, so I'm not as acquainted with the original choices.  I think it's a combination of a few things:

- load times in the age of slower connections was definitely a factor

- a desire to encourage a little more selection with the photos, rather then just an infodump of every shot you took during a trip

- a desire to encourage folks to use photos to accent or accompany their written trip reports, instead of using photos for TRs alone

That sums it up very well, according to my understanding from Charles, who is a fairly rare visitor to this site now that his kids are teenagers, and he does some chauffeur duty as well as ultimate frisbee coaching, hope he does not mind my sharing that info.

I like to check in with the home front (TAY) even when I am enjoying skiing in other countries, and it sure is nice to have a quick loading site from internet cafes with less than T1 connectivity.  I too enjoy the refreshment of reading a well written TR as opposed to viewing unedited digital camera dumps.  For folks who want lotsa pics, TGR is a great site.  Thanks for keeping TAY lean and not mean.

Great getting out with you again Sam.  Definitely glad I opted out of work to go get some September turns.

Here's to hoping it's not too painful to hold my breath for early Oct. pow turns!

Reply to this TR

sept-15-2010-coleman-pinnacle-turns-and-goats
samthaman
2010-09-21 12:33:08