Home > Trip Reports > Sept 11, 2010, Muir Snowfield

Sept 11, 2010, Muir Snowfield

9/11/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by lordhedgie on 9/11/10 1:50pm
Turned out some friends planned the same last minute trip I did, so we met up.  Found Mr Burns in the parking lot, so we started up to Muir as a group of five.

The good news: About 4" of fresh above 7000ft.

The bad news: The fog reduced visibility to nothing, and turned the great snow we climbed into heavy goo.

Photos?  Did I say zero visibility?
In spite of the visibility, that was a super fun day.  It was terrific to see all the snow fill-in that's occured in the last couple weeks.  Skiing down from Muir with no sun cups, running water, mud, grit, etc. was cool.  Around 2500 ft continuous vertical in September is pretty great in my book.

Lordhedgie- great to meet you and the rest of the group.  Thank you for letting me tag along!   Welcome to WA, Josh and Susan, you are going to love it here.  Andrew I'll be interested to see what you're carrying next time I see you.

Okay, I lied, I do have photos... but they're not good.  Here's the best:

That turned out to be quite the day and a bit longer than I expected. It went from good to so bad it's good. Either way equals good. Andrew was really sore on the ride home.

I can't wait for the real winter to roll in!

author=dromond link=topic=17411.msg73411#msg73411 date=1284317254] It went from good to so bad it's good.

Sweet! :).

Reply to this TR

sept-11-2010-muir-snowfield
lordhedgie
2010-09-11 20:50:24