Home > Trip Reports > September 5, Coleman Pinnacle

September 5, Coleman Pinnacle

9/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by James Wells on 9/5/10 12:37pm
Not a great forecast.  I figured I should go since Telemack was planning on it, Mack figured he should go since I was planning on it, Telemander decided to come with for some reason.  In a good example of Abilene syndrome, we all assembled at 7:30 and were hoofing in very light rain from Artist Point before 8.

The snow coverage is really great for September.  After about 90 minutes we were putting skis on to make the long descending traverse run into the basin below (NW of) Coleman Pinnacle.  This still goes with no carries, meaning more snow than July of other summers.  We went up to the notch SW of CP then scrambled up to the summit, during which time we were sleeted upon and then snowed upon.  Scrambling down a little more carefully due to new snow, we did two 900' runs NW from the notch.  Soft suncups, 1/4" of new, who could ask for more? 

Before heading toward the car, I took the crew to what I call the catbird seat, a point of rock where, when the weather is clear, you can look down on the Sholes and across the huge valley to the Rainbow.  Miraculously, the clouds parted and we got the view.  We ran into Dave from Pro Guiding and two friends from Iowa who were having a great day out too.

We left via the SW side of CP to complete a round trup.  After an 850€™ run and a bit of walking, we got a 500€™ run and then another short run back to very close to where you go up the switchbacks to Table.  What a treat to have such a short walk out and a nice end to 3600€™ of skiing, more than I would have expected for a casual September trip.

Conditions are great, runs of at least 800€™ will last another week or two.

Will check the pix later and will post if they are any good (many were in the fog).

Glad you got out there. Sorry i missed it, it sound like it was a fun day.

James got the TR up before I even got to the Kingston ferry!  It wa a pretty mild day for all the clouds and precipitation.  We had the whole spectrum, from 100 yards vis. to brief crisp views of Baker, and from sunbreaks to graupel & a handful of snowflakes to a few raindrops. 
We got 5 runs of varying lengths and "traversy-ness".  Watch out when trying to keep your speed up crossing those runnels!  :'( 
Since the Ptarmigan Ridge traverses most of the way and doesn't change in elevation much, we had quite a high joy-o-meter rating:
    3600' turns divided by 4500' est. walking, scrambling, skinning and booting = 80%  :)
Telemander, you are a good addition the the northern chapter of TAY!
    Though the runnels were a bit of a nuisance, the suncups were really tiny.  A couple of spots had been smoothed by previous skiers.  Does anyone know if, in this year of endless corn and July-in-September, suncups actually shrink or reduce in size?  I wonder if reducec solar exposure combined with mild temps and some rain could have a flattening effect.  Something to look forward to the rest of the month if it happens.

Peekaboo whiteout
Graupel bouncing off helmets
Down, up, carve the goods

A few point and shoot pix, most were fogged out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/111924517665004614173/ColemanPinnacleSki?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCroOzQkYP6bQ&feat=directlink

Reply to this TR

september-5-coleman-pinnacle
James Wells
2010-09-05 19:37:33