telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/10/18, 08:34 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  September 2010 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Sept. 3, 2010, Snoqualmie Patch
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sept. 3, 2010, Snoqualmie Patch  (Read 15170 times)
randerson
5Member

Re: Sept. 3, 2010, Snoqualmie Patch
« Reply #25 on: 09/15/10, 01:22 PM »

BCFC debated the concept of what a turn all year is this week at Ptarmigan. We have some theories and some disagreement.

2/3 of the group says sand is out and only 1/3 thinks it counts. To some agreements:

1) Gravity fed movement (that makes in a downhill sport). Note this is a gravity pulling you in toward the earth, Newton Apple kind of gravity. The moon's gravitation inducing waves, which technically you could ski (I think they call it surfing), is therefore OUT. 

2) Major movement mechanism is sliding not rolling (why I think sand is in)
This knocks out skateboards and other sports like it. No Wheels (unless the brakes are locked out and you make go to point number 3).

3) Can you turn on it? Glue your feet to some lunch trays and turn and you've got your first supporter right here.

4) Boot turns are tricky. It meets all of the other criteria. Is there a de facto 'gentlemans' rule about this? Perhaps you should have to carry bricks equal to your ski wait ha. I like the inherent ambiguity. Turn your own turn!

5) Not sure about length/vert. It seems requirement #3 takes care of length of snow patch. I would hate to lose my streak because of an awful winter followed by a deathly hot summer leaving only 20 ft of snow, so for streak conservation in the face of global climate change, I think length shouldn't matter as long as the joy meter cracks 0. You've earned it then.
davidG

« Reply #26 on: 09/15/10, 03:20 PM »

Hey, Ron, how about moving randerson's most illuminating post to the recent TAY definition thread ~ we would not want to lose track of such gravitas..  like, he even got Newton spelled right, and everything..

Randerson, as to your point #4, yes, a gentleman's agreement has been achieved after lengthy negotiations.  Please see Kneel Turners 'TAY' thread on the main page.

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
savegondor

« Reply #27 on: 09/22/10, 02:43 PM »

BCFC debated the concept of what a turn all year is this week at Ptarmigan. We have some theories and some disagreement.

2/3 of the group says sand is out and only 1/3 thinks it counts. To some agreements:

1) Gravity fed movement (that makes in a downhill sport). Note this is a gravity pulling you in toward the earth, Newton Apple kind of gravity. The moon's gravitation inducing waves, which technically you could ski (I think they call it surfing), is therefore OUT. 

2) Major movement mechanism is sliding not rolling (why I think sand is in)
This knocks out skateboards and other sports like it. No Wheels (unless the brakes are locked out and you make go to point number 3).

3) Can you turn on it? Glue your feet to some lunch trays and turn and you've got your first supporter right here.

4) Boot turns are tricky. It meets all of the other criteria. Is there a de facto 'gentlemans' rule about this? Perhaps you should have to carry bricks equal to your ski wait ha. I like the inherent ambiguity. Turn your own turn!

5) Not sure about length/vert. It seems requirement #3 takes care of length of snow patch. I would hate to lose my streak because of an awful winter followed by a deathly hot summer leaving only 20 ft of snow, so for streak conservation in the face of global climate change, I think length shouldn't matter as long as the joy meter cracks 0. You've earned it then.

This is hilarious.

1) First of all the argument about waves is all kinds of crazy bogus.  when you surf you are pointing that sucker right down the 'fall line' and your board, skis, kayak whatever, are in in fact 'sliding on water' which is precisely what occurs on snow some of the time.  Not that skiing is always about sliding as deep powder involves a good number of other dynamics as well.  And need I point out that the moon is only one factor in both waves and the precip we call snow.  The earth's rotation, wind, and a host of other wave and particle physics are involved. 

But all these points are moot since this is a popular forum and the population has not been considering a host of other 'gravity sports' to count towards 'turns all year'.  i.e. rafting, kayaking, biking all of which involve a relationship with 'friction' and 'sliding'. 

2) i think everyone is going to agree on point 2

3) my fat skis are getting toward the size of lunch trays in my opinion... and what about 'free boarding' or kayaking on snow?  all of these parties turn on snow with many of the same bio-mechanics as traditional skiers and boarders.

4) boot turns?  no because there is another name for that: glissading.

5) for my part VERT should most definitely count.  And I'll allow tagging that 20 foot patch at least  50 times.  To me 1k vert is a bare minimum to cal lit a trip in my version of the TAY category.  And please, that snow argument is crap.  I could get 1k in Montana right now and there is far less snow.  We've got volcano's a plenty and what is more it actually wasn't all that crappy of a snow year.  By late spring areas around snowqualmie were 75-100% of normal.  The Olympics came in over 150% and Mission Ridge was above normal as well.  That is a pretty normal 'patch' on snoqualmie for this time of year. 

LASTLY:  I think it would be fun to debate and possibly establish some formal rules for what counts...and we could set the bar low....say at least 250 continuous vert a month...and establish acceptable surfaces and instruments.  If there was a way to measure vert on a wave I'd vote for surfing for sure.  I also think beauty should be a category and so should 'hard-core' factor in.  i.e. hiking up Mt. Rose in August for 100 vert.  in such a case 'hard-core' would trump the vert requirement. 

And do you have to 'earn your turn?'  humm....  does skiing on plastic count? 
savegondor

« Reply #28 on: 09/22/10, 02:45 PM »

oh and: Ski-blades = Fail
Nate R
5Member

« Reply #29 on: 09/24/10, 04:55 PM »

So, if you only ski uphill, do you get a total of negative v.f. and still count it for a month? 

Using that logic, wouldn't all our backcountry days result in total v.f. of zero?    Huh

Until the governing body that monitors feats of turns-all-year issues a position on what qualifies as a turn, or someone can produce some qualitative historical context, all we have left to go on is the name, and the definition of "turns" does not imply any kind of restriction on means or medium.  The only way to solve this on our own is to either come up with another moniker, or consent to the fact that turns can mean anything, even if it's in your car or on a train (or with a fox or in the rain).  Therefore I propose that we change the name of the site (and the accomplishment) to Downhill-Gravity-Propelled-Turns-On-Snow-With-Ptex-Based-Foot-Attachments-All-Year, or D-G-P-T-O-S-W-P-B-F-A-A-Y. 
Marcus
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: 09/24/10, 05:14 PM »

even if it's in your car or on a train (or with a fox or in the rain)

Someone is warming up their Dr. Seuss brain muscles.

I'll take the name change under consideration... Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.