Home > Trip Reports > August 29, 2010, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

August 29, 2010, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

8/29/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by scotteryx on 8/30/10 12:39am
I knew it would be bad, but I am ignorant.

Left the lot @ 6:30 and had beautiful weather the entire way up the mountain, the clouds followed us closely as we ascended. The last 1000' were big suncups that had some Pentientes like formations from the deepness of the cups.

The ski down from 10 to 9300 was horrid and taxing. 9300 to 8000 was pretty nice in places but total pea soup 75% of the time. Most of the time we stayed skiers left or right next to the rock ridges for optimal snow conditions.

Skied all the way to Pebble Creek. Not bad for August. We also skied the small patch just below Pan Point and got an additional 200' :-)

Taught my friend how to act like a foreigner on the way down so we would not get hassled by stupid and useless questions. It worked quite well.

Is it just me or is South Hill ever expanding with more strip malls with Nails, Teriyaki and Check cashing places?

Don't forget about the coffee houses!

Ladies, don't be hatin'.  -Looks like "Baristas Gone Wild" is now an equal opportunity employer!

PUTlinkTEXThere

author=scotteryx link=topic=17371.msg73145#msg73145 date=1283182758]
Is it just me or is South Hill ever expanding with more strip malls with Nails, Teriyaki and Check cashing places?

There are parallel arterials to the west that bypass the worst of the 'South Hell' gridlock, but for a somewhat less ugly & often faster route, stay on I-5 southbound thru Sarcoma to the 512 freeway.  From the far right I-5 offramp lane, one is in position to quickly take the Steele St. offramp from 512 eastbound that becomes Spanaway Loop Rd. heading south.  After this joins Hiway 7 near the edge of town, one can turn left at the Hiway 507 flashing yellow light on the Eatonville Cutoff to Hiway 161 .  Perhaps a few miles further, but definitely less stressful much of the day.

Wait a minute now ! They also have some nice tanning salons.

Tip: to avoid some of that turn right when leaving 512 after puyallup go south on 94th to t bone end at 152 nd then left back to Meridian.

The only reason to go on  MEridian is to stop at Los Amigos  Taco Autobusa.  Thier Pollo Asada rules. Mini market next with a shared patio. Ring the buzzer for  beer service.

good work scott..........ignorance is bliss

The Paradise Glacier was in fine shape on Saturday. We booted up to Muir, rode some of the craptastic sun cups at the top, then hopped onto the Paradise Glacier for some nice, smooth turns. We didn't see a single skier or boarder all day, just hordes of climbers and day hikers.

Thought about heading over to the Paradise Glacier after watching TNT's video from last week.

I try not to descend a glacier that I have not walked up before, and with that Pea Soup that settled in on our descent, well, that made it less desirable.

author=scotteryx link=topic=17371.msg73154#msg73154 date=1283234492]
and with that Pea Soup that settled in on our descent, well, that made it less desirable.

Wise choice, Scotteryx! - Ron & Jeannette & I hiked up toward the foot of the Paradise.  But when we saw the fog rolling in, we did a quick transition and linked a few turns.  Then hiked out ahead of the weather.  The flowers are really pretty in shrinking visibility, and the skis enjoyed the walk.  And a cold beer finished a good trip.  As Ron says, "We lived to ski another day."  ;)

Photos:
#3478: Father & Son (age 10) make their way to Camp Muir after spending the night just above Pan Point. Pretty cool stuff.

Any cracks visible on the snowfield proper? Big snow year or no, this is the time of year that hikers start dropping into holes....

No cracks. One appears to be forming at the spot around 9k where the dirt trail hits the snowfield proper. As the blog page on Mt Rainier had said on Friday, the Muir Snowfield is in great condition as far as coverage goes. No bare ice anywhere that I could see

Reply to this TR

august-29-2010-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
scotteryx
2010-08-30 07:39:18