Home > Trip Reports > August 25, 2010, Mt. Rainier, Paradise Glacier

August 25, 2010, Mt. Rainier, Paradise Glacier

8/25/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skierlyles on 8/27/10 6:54am
I have been away from the PNW for most of the summer, missing out on what has been called some of the best summer skiing conditions in ten years€¦ All I could do was live vicariously through each of your trip reports, thanks to you all for keeping me going. This goes out to those of you who haven€™t been able to make it out lately.

A buddy and I decided to head out and see what conditions at Rainier were like€¦ good decision! The Paradise glacier is holding up quite well despite being the end of August. Bumped into fellow TAY€™ers ski_photomatt and Andyrew, and decided to hike out together as we had similar objectives in mind. The approach went quite quickly with lots of beautiful wildflowers to see along the way, keeping my eyes busy. Hood, Helens, and Adams were in full view and provided additional distractions. As we approached the old Paradise ice caves area it became apparent that there would not be enough continuous snow to skin from here to the terminus, and we continued carrying until we reached the far eastern margin of the glacier. After splitting from Andrew and Matt we continued along towards Cowlitz rock to get views of the other surrounding slopes. Not much else in good shape but the Paradise. From here we transitioned to skinning up the narrowing snow ribbon along the eastern margin which was covered with previous skiers€™ raised tracks. We topped out at the 8,600 foot contour where the steeper slope mellows out and continues towards Anvil rock. Here I delighted in stripping skins for the first time in months. The snow surface was raised where others had skied, and 3-5 inch suncups had developed, making us wonder if the descent would be pleasurable€¦ it was! The descent reminded me of late season spring skiing on the east coast- dodging and airing moguls along the way. Not bad at all for the end of August. The snow has picked up some pollen, slowing our descent on the flatter sections but still provided good skiing on an easily carveable surface of suncups, slight runnels, raised ski tracks, and easily avoided crevasses. Sure looked like July up there.

The mountain has yet again provided fuel for my mind, body, and soul.

All in all, an amazing day on the mountain.

Chris

Reply to this TR

august-25-2010-mt-rainier-paradise-glacier
skierlyles
2010-08-27 13:54:43